Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Intel 4K + GNOME Optimization Yields 5% Faster Render Times, 10% Lower Power Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexmitter, you must be kidding me. Either that or you're delusional.
    If you truly believe everything you just said, you're detached from the world.

Desktop icons are here to stay for the foreseeable future. One Linux desktop environment is not going to change that.
    And not only they're expected, they're present in every other major platform.

Maybe I want my desktop choke-full with files. Why should Gnome devs care?
    The nice thing about supporting desktop icons is that you don't have to use them, if you don't want to.

System tray and window buttons settings are not in the normal settings because they work as everybody expects them to work and almost nobody thinks of changing their behaviour.

Canonical got that right, but Ubuntu is not Gnome. In fact I can't expect Ubuntu settings in Fedora or Manjaro (btw Manjaro even uses the vanilla Gnome terminal which can't have a transparent background)

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    If you cant deal with change, Gnome is not for you.
    Just to make you understand, this means being hostile to the user.
    The exact opposite of user-friendly UI/UX

I'm going to quote you every time I'll have to explain why Linux is still failing the desktop :'D

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      Alexmitter, you must be kidding me. Either that or you're delusional.
      If you truly believe everything you just said, you're detached from the world.

Desktop icons are here to stay for the foreseeable future. One Linux desktop environment is not going to change that.
      And not only they're expected, they're present in every other major platform.

Maybe I want my desktop choke-full with files. Why should Gnome devs care?
      The nice thing about supporting desktop icons is that you don't have to use them, if you don't want to.

System tray and window buttons settings are not in the normal settings because they work as everybody expects them to work and almost nobody thinks of changing their behaviour.

Canonical got that right, but Ubuntu is not Gnome. In fact I can't expect Ubuntu settings in Fedora or Manjaro (btw Manjaro even uses the vanilla Gnome terminal which can't have a transparent background)

Just to make you understand, this means being hostile to the user.
      The exact opposite of user-friendly UI/UX

I'm going to quote you every time I'll have to explain why Linux is still failing the desktop :'D
      I don't think he's kidding. Like most Vanilla Gnome (or close) / Fedora / wayland users, he has his head buried in the sand. They're in denial of the broadness of users and workflows. If it works for them, they believe it works for everyone. That's also why Fedora wayland users believe wayland's ready before it actually is.

I said it several times, but I tend to believe Gnome is written by a bunch of nerds in a bunker somewhere. They don't use the mouse much, as Gnome is only usable through the keyboard (which is fine for nerds). They don't go out, they don't talk to users, they don't gather feedback. They are unaware of what their user base expects. They just do their thing on their own and force it down their users' throat. The lack of configurability/customization demonstrates they don't acknowledge their users have all different use cases or workflows. They just don't give a f... The rest can just "go manage itself" if they want a different workflow.

Not. their. problem. They want as little responsibility as possible regarding what they do. Then they can blame extension developers if it breaks, as basic as the extension is (Frippery move clock, User themes, Desktop icons, System tray, ...). They're throwing a bone at us, and that's all they're willing to do.

Canonical is far from perfect, they've also made decisions that were not in everyone's best interest, but say what you want about them, they understand their users pretty well and try to accomodate their different workflows. That's why they've succeeded (straight away) where Fedora have always failed.

Fedora (here I make it a synonym of the Gnome dev team) is speaking to the few nerds. They designed Gnome for and between themselves. While Canonical (through Ubuntu) is encompassing everyone and aware users are not just devs using their keyboard. They are trying to make their DE user-centric (with Unity and now with Gnome). They focus on end users. But there is no solid base to do this due to Vanilla Gnome not delivering.
      I understand even better 9 years later why they went for Unity. It becomes blatant with time (since Gnome 3 is the default Ubuntu DE). The Gnome dev team behavior proves time and again why Canonical had no other decent choice but to go for Unity.

Last edited by Mez'; 30 June 2020, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Wtf. I haven't used desktop icons in like 10 years. Even on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
          The fact that you don't use them doesn't mean that others don't, or don't want to.
          I don't usually use them, but I really like to be able to drop something there if I want to.

Comment

Mez' The only logical explanation for their behaviour I could come up with is that Red Hat does not care in the slightest for the desktop.
            To me this is further proven by the fact that the recent improvements come all from Canonical, specifically from the mighty Daniel van Vugt.
            This makes me very sad, because I'd really like to enjoy Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
              The fact that you don't use them doesn't mean that others don't, or don't want to.
              I didn't say otherwise. Relax.

Comment

Me neither.

But your reply is the exact "head buried in the sand" principle I was talking about. The usual narrow-mindedness of some people... Since they don't use something, they assume no one does. It's really irritating.

Even though you and I don't use them, desktop icons need to be there as a config setting that any user should be able to enable in an easy-to-access settings menu. Every DE + Windows have them at arm's length. Gnome doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  Me neither.

But your reply is the exact "head buried in the sand" principle I was talking about. The usual narrow-mindedness of some people... Since they don't use something, they assume no one does. It's really irritating.

Even though you and I don't use them, desktop icons need to be there as a config setting that any user should be able to enable in an easy-to-access settings menu. Every DE + Windows have them at arm's length. Gnome doesn't.

I didn't say otherwise. Relax.

Comment

I always felt that the right approach for Linux would be to collaborate on making a DE framework (Kinda like what KDE is doing) that works on top of the same libraries and gets maintained and reviewed by all DE teams.

Then, with the common functionality lying in that framework, every team gets to build their preferred Gnome-like or Plasma-like or Windows-like UI on top of it.

It would probably alleviate not having enough people looking at a lot of the issues distributed among 2 to 3 different massive codebases.

Comment

Working...
                    X