Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Intel 4K + GNOME Optimization Yields 5% Faster Render Times, 10% Lower Power Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

Citation needed. They seem mostly to be recruiting brainlets with zero technical aptitude to do a bit of busy work in exchange for $6k. So "helpful"!
    Do you have any data on that? There has been clear indicators that big groups like women are under-represented in the FOSS community compared to other software fields. So assuming Apple, Google and Microsoft are not hiring untalented folks on a big scale that indicates we're loosing out on talented people. And that is only one reason to do outreach. If the programs have been successful so far I don't know - but I personally (and many other smarter people in the Gnome community) think they are a good long term investment in principle.

People who are tired of "diversity" politics enough to rant about it here probably are involved and mostly likely do contribute.
    Citation desperately needed. If that is the case for you - happy to hear. The assumption that it is the case for all the trolls here sounds bold to me though.

It's absolutely sickening to see the GNOME bank accounts being drained to $0 by these outreach drones, while other hard-working contributors give their best work for free.
    Valid opinion. But the Gnome foundation was build on that idea - not going to pay developers but rely on companies to do so. It arguably has been successful with that with quite a few companies paying devs for their work on Gnome. And regular devs do benefit quite a bit from the foundation, getting their travel expanses paid for hackfests etc.
    Last edited by treba; 27 June 2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

The old icons and Adwaita are bleh, agreed, but the 3.32+ Adwaita/icons actually look quite decent. (Although I'm still a Canta/Papirus user for life
      Decent as in it went from 1995 to 2012... Sure.

I also use Papirus, so that it feels like 2020. I've modified some icons colors though.

And I use the lovely Matcha-Aliz (Manjaro theme in red version derived from Arc) because Arc relies heavily on blue and I'm sick of it. It's also hard to modify with those gresources files. Matcha-Aliz don't use those bundled gresources and it's faster to modify the css.

I've heavily tweaked it with red, orange and aubergine colors, so that it matches Ubuntu colors, my personal preferences and is joyful at the same time.
      Last edited by Mez'; 27 June 2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I already liked this, but I've to restate my like!

I've said it many times, but it's never gonna be enough: vanilla Gnome is user hostile by design.
        It's ui/ux designers are incredibly opinionated and far from reality.
        The things I find infuriating are the absence of a global menu bar, the centered clock, and the removal of both the system tray and the desktop icons.
        I mean they clearly copied macOS ui, but like missed its ux.
        They have a top bar, but it's mostly empty and useless.
        Apple uses header bars everywhere they can but they didn't ditch the global menu.
        Because it's standard and very familiar ui pattern that boosts discoverability.
        Gnome designers must think they know better, but we are stuck with those awful hamburger menus.
        The only UIs with a centered clock are iPads and those iPhones without the notch.
        They have something that resemble a system tray, but it's actually not.
        They have a desktop, but it's just a wallpaper.
        In the desktop world nobody but Gnome mocks the user like this.
        I've said several times as well it's absolutely dumb you need an extension to move that clock from the center to the right. You should be able to decide by yourself.
        I agree Gnome is user hostile by default. I only managed to get the workflow I wanted after installing 18 extensions.

Unity did a much better and pragmatic job (for non nerd end users) at implementing the same paradigm than Gnome 3 did. Even though they made their bad decisions as well (removing the dodge/intelliihide feature got me angry at the time).
        They are cousins but one focused on users and the other is forcing a nerdy workflow down to everyone's throat without listening to feedback.

And indeed, that top bar is a complete and utter waste of space with the title bar right underneath (it's an heresy on a laptop), and that clock in the middle.
        I'm not a big fan of global menus though. I can live without them. But the merging of the title bar and top bar is a mandatory for me. Fortunately, the Unite extension does just that and does it well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          I've said several times as well it's absolutely dumb you need an extension to move that clock from the center to the right. You should be able to decide by yourself.
          I agree Gnome is user hostile by default. I only managed to get the workflow I wanted after installing 18 extensions.

Unity did a much better and pragmatic job (for non nerd end users) at implementing the same paradigm than Gnome 3 did. Even though they made their bad decisions as well (removing the dodge/intelliihide feature got me angry at the time).
          They are cousins but one focused on users and the other is forcing a nerdy workflow down to everyone's throat without listening to feedback.

And indeed, that top bar is a complete and utter waste of space with the title bar right underneath (it's an heresy on a laptop), and that clock in the middle.
          I'm not a big fan of global menus though. I can live without them. But the merging of the title bar and top bar is a mandatory for me. Fortunately, the Unite extension does just that and does it well.
          The funny thing about global menus is that I'm not a fan either, but with Gnome 3 just seems natural.
          You have that screen wide panel mostly empty, you might as well use it for something actually useful!
          Instead it really is the Android top bar, stretched over a much much wider monitor
          Last edited by JackLilhammers; 27 June 2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I assumed the lack of performance of Gnome 3 was because few developers actually use it so there is no fixing of their particular itches.

Kind of the opposite reason for why ThinkPad machinery is renowned for being so compatible with BSD and Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              I only managed to get the workflow I wanted after installing 18 extensions.
              And there is nothing wrong with that, when the concept of Gnome 3 was planned the developer knew that it will not fit everyone due to its new and experimental UI/UX so they created the infrastructure we now know as Extensions. Make the shell and the compositor script-able, patch-able, extendable, customizable. Let the user decide what he needs and what is to change.
              Who doesn't like something this powerful?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                when the concept of Gnome 3 was planned the developer knew that it will not fit everyone due to its new and experimental UI/UX
                That's a very generous interpretation. gnome-shell seems to have be designed with an assumption that "mobile convergence" would actually be a real thing. We now know that to be utterly false.

So what you're left with in gnome-shell is an interface designed for tablets that 99% of people just use on PC hardware. What a sorry state of affairs.

It's a bad design targeted at a non-existent use case and requires 20 brittle and terrible performing extension to even be somewhat usable. You're delusional if you think that's in any way "powerful".

Comment

And there is nothing wrong with that, when the concept of Gnome 3 was planned the developer knew that it will not fit everyone due to its new and experimental UI/UX so they created the infrastructure we now know as Extensions. Make the shell and the compositor script-able, patch-able, extendable, customizable. Let the user decide what he needs and what is to change.
                  Yes, there is. Basic stuff should be part of the desktop.
                  From a functionality standpoint it would reduce the risk of breaking stuff with updates.
                  Also speaking of UI/UX this design effectively splits the settings, because you have your system settings and your extensions settings. (and other stuff in other sections of Gnome Tweaks)
                  It makes sense for "real" tweaks and extensions, but not for things that are expected, like desktop icons, the system tray, window buttons, the visibility and placement of the dock and so on

Edit: I said "almost expected" because I'm a Linux user and I'm familiar with the Gnome so-called-design, but then I deleted "almost" because for the other ≈95% of the desktop users all those things are absolutely taken for granted.

PS: I think it's more than 95% because even within Linux almost any other desktop provides them, by default.
                  Last edited by JackLilhammers; 28 June 2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

but not for things that are expected, like desktop icons,
                    Desktop Icons are not a part of any modern desktop, Microsoft tries to get rid of them too.
                    If you really want to minimize all your open windows to launch something, there is this extension.
                    This is not something anyone should expect in 2020.

the system tray, window buttons,
                    Were do other OS's place them? Not in the normal settings. Not even windows does that anymore.
                    Gnome, like many other modern systems split system settings and customization settings.

the visibility and placement of the dock and so on
                    Canonical, the guys maintaining the dock have a extra menu option in the usual gnome-settings for the dock and their yaru theme.

PS: I think it's more than 95% because even within Linux almost any other desktop provides them, by default.
                    If you cant deal with change, Gnome is not for you.

Comment

If you cant deal with change, Gnome is not for you.
                      t. Cringe "power user" who thinks pointless change is "innovation".

Comment

Working...
                      X