Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Intel 4K + GNOME Optimization Yields 5% Faster Render Times, 10% Lower Power Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

So animations are running at 30fps instead of 20fps?

On the one hand, that's a big increase. On the other hand, it's still kind of pitiful.
    You forgot that this is at at 4K resolution on an older Intel GPU. You are unlikely to ever see solid 60 fps under these circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
      The question is, what are the rest of GNOME devs doing, besides outreachy and other bullshit? Without Daniel there would be no Gnome Shell or Mutter
      my monitor isn't supposed to talk

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        Unfortunately, it took a LONG time until someone with this kind of this focus on performance showed up.
        maybe because canonical(supposedly main desktop linux player) wasn't doing gnome all those years?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          IMHO android is still wasting resources compared to iOS.
          is ios still killing apps on alt-tab?

Comment

The majority of Gnome devs do not use Linux or the Gnome desktop enviroment. Majority of them use macbooks.
            moron, linux and gnome work on macbooks

Comment

they buy macbooks to install linux? Have you ever used gnome? its clear that its developers dont use it in the real world
              it's clear you are imbecile. how do they test their changes? it's well-known fact that disturbingly large number of linux devs buy macbooks to install linux on them

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I already liked this, but I've to restate my like!
                I like gnome. It's great. It's getting better. The benefits from Ubuntu switching back to it are obvious. Let's hope Daniel doesn't get distracted by someone buying him a Tesla and asking him to make it faster while using less power.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

That's sarcasm for sure, but I do wonder how GNOME developers managed to make everything so slow and inefficient and why it took so long to find out. Maybe it's a good idea to browse through the shaders generated for mutter and look for more.
                  You wonder? Read what is highlighted. It's GNOME. Need I say more?

Comment

The question is, what are the rest of GNOME devs doing, besides outreachy and other bullshit? Without Daniel there would be no Gnome Shell or Mutter
                    You know, people doing outreach are at least doing something helpful for the community. In contrast, people who just write bullshit in forums in turn do nothing but demotivate those who actually get work done. And no, your comment does not count as critical feedback because you obviously didn't bother to check any commit logs.

You wonder why not every optimization has been done yesterday already? I can tell you: human resources. The shell team is small and having an extra paid developer focussing mainly on profiling is obviously helpful. Unlike comments like yours. /offtopic

About the MR: it looks like a nice improvement - not a game changer but certainly noticeable on such setups. Keep them coming!

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                      You know, people doing outreach are at least doing something helpful for the community.
                      Citation needed. They seem mostly to be recruiting brainlets with zero technical aptitude to do a bit of busy work in exchange for $6k. So "helpful"!

Originally posted by treba View Post
                      In contrast, people who just write bullshit in forums in turn do nothing but demotivate those who actually get work done.
                      People who are tired of "diversity" politics enough to rant about it here probably are involved and mostly likely do contribute. It's absolutely sickening to see the GNOME bank accounts being drained to $0 by these outreach drones, while other hard-working contributors give their best work for free.
                      Last edited by JustinTurdeau; 27 June 2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X