Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Intel 4K + GNOME Optimization Yields 5% Faster Render Times, 10% Lower Power Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post
    For many years, the GNOME community worked mostly on features and fancy UI and largely ignored performance
    I guess you meant "worked mostly on removing features".

Also, Vanilla Gnome with that Dark monolithic looking top bar with weird rounded edges on each end, the Adwaita theme, the 1995 icons and that idiotic hardcoded "Activities" button name is anything but fancy. Anybody in their right mind (some Fedora cultists aside) changes these into a real theme as a first thing.

Comment

Just to show how important dogfooding is

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

wait...someone is working on an opensource project whilst beeing not user of it. im sorry, have you cought to much of tulsa rally spirit?

they might have macbooks. But you know that the intermediate linux user is able to install linux on those machines
        Come on dont be naive. they buy macbooks to install linux? Have you ever used gnome? its clear that its developers dont use it in the real world

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

Come on dont be naive. they buy macbooks to install linux? Have you ever used gnome? its clear that its developers dont use it in the real world
          Yes I'm using gnome and yes I have been installing Linux once on a Mac iBook G4. KDE remeinds me too much of windows. I really like Gnome. Ever tried it on PopOS with autotilling...that is great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Also, Vanilla Gnome with that Dark monolithic looking top bar with weird rounded edges on each end, the Adwaita theme, the 1995 icons and that idiotic hardcoded "Activities" button name is anything but fancy. Anybody in their right mind (some Fedora cultists aside) changes these into a real theme as a first thing.
            I already liked this, but I've to restate my like!

I've said it many times, but it's never gonna be enough: vanilla Gnome is user hostile by design.
            It's ui/ux designers are incredibly opinionated and far from reality.
            The things I find infuriating are the absence of a global menu bar, the centered clock, and the removal of both the system tray and the desktop icons.
            I mean they clearly copied macOS ui, but like missed its ux.
            They have a top bar, but it's mostly empty and useless.
            Apple uses header bars everywhere they can but they didn't ditch the global menu.
            Because it's standard and very familiar ui pattern that boosts discoverability.
            Gnome designers must think they know better, but we are stuck with those awful hamburger menus.
            The only UIs with a centered clock are iPads and those iPhones without the notch.
            They have something that resemble a system tray, but it's actually not.
            They have a desktop, but it's just a wallpaper.
            In the desktop world nobody but Gnome mocks the user like this.

Comment

What a beast, these changes all look very exciting. I get mouse stutters in Wayland sometimes on Ubuntu 20.04, hopefully in 20.10 it will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I already liked this, but I've to restate my like!

I've said it many times, but it's never gonna be enough: vanilla Gnome is user hostile by design.
                It's ui/ux designers are incredibly opinionated and far from reality.
                The things I find infuriating are the absence of a global menu bar, the centered clock, and the removal of both the system tray and the desktop icons.
                I mean they clearly copied macOS ui, but like missed its ux.
                They have a top bar, but it's mostly empty and useless.
                Apple uses header bars everywhere they can but they didn't ditch the global menu.
                Because it's standard and very familiar ui pattern that boosts discoverability.
                Gnome designers must think they know better, but we are stuck with those awful hamburger menus.
                The only UIs with a centered clock are iPads and those iPhones without the notch.
                They have something that resemble a system tray, but it's actually not.
                They have a desktop, but it's just a wallpaper.
                In the desktop world nobody but Gnome mocks the user like this.
                There are some plugins for advanced users, but still, yea this is annoying. I decided to test Gnome 3 for a while. It didn't take that long till I discovered it doesn't have the system tray area. Many of the apps we use at work provide a tray icon. Like, how do you even know your VOIP software is running if you can't see its icon. How do you set your status? What about file synchronization? Teams suite? I couldn't find Gnome branded Sgype, Geams, Goom, Geafile, Gropbox anywhere and couldn't figure out how those apps are supposed to be used.

Comment

On Ubuntu there is a system tray by default, other distros don't always have this extension and it's kind of reficulous.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    So animations are running at 30fps instead of 20fps?

On the one hand, that's a big increase. On the other hand, it's still kind of pitiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

The old icons and Adwaita are bleh, agreed, but the 3.32+ Adwaita/icons actually look quite decent. (Although I'm still a Canta/Papirus user for life

Comment

Working...
                      X