Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Intel 4K + GNOME Optimization Yields 5% Faster Render Times, 10% Lower Power Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    The question is, what are the rest of GNOME devs doing, besides outreachy and other bullshit? Without Daniel there would be no Gnome Shell or Mutter
    You are also thinking that Linus is still writing the Kernel by himself.. alone?

Some people are pulling the right strings but large scale projects like Linux kernel , gnome, KDE are never done by one person alone. Maybe at the beginning but after a while they aren't anymore
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 06-26-2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      That's sarcasm for sure
      It barely even counts as sarcasm at this point. So many idiotic bugs have been found in gnome-shell/mutter in the last couple of years and I bet there's still plenty more to come.

... I do wonder how GNOME developers managed to make everything so slow and inefficient and why it took so long to find out.
      It probably happened the same way as how gnome-shell originally came into existence. A bunch of bad developers with overpowered workstations just threw some shitty code at the wall and then said "well it seems fast enough on my machine".
      Last edited by JustinTurdeau; 06-26-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Strangely enough, I switched to Gnome 3 back when I ran a Pentium IV and a GT210, and thought it ran quite well, compared to KDE or Xfce

Comment

I really don't know if this is the case here but some Devs really don't care about code optimization and they don't even see it because they run strong computers....MH I guess that's more or less the same what JustinTurdeau said...bit more polite

Comment

For many years, the GNOME community worked mostly on features and fancy UI and largely ignored performance.
            And here goes ridiculous part. Since 2011 (fist GNOME 3 release) KDE folks managed to deprecate KDE4, rewrite DE on "new" QT5 and call it Plasma, fix it, fill with a lot of features and port most of the programs to a new frameworks version. And it works FASTER, eats LESS RAM, and has MORE FEATURES and CUSTOMIZATIONS I think I am going to die of laughter right now.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post

And yet, you obviously haven't been able to do it.
              Are you dumb or just trolling? I never said DdV is the sole contributor to gnome, but without him its performance and usability would be pre alpha stage. What are other gnome devs going besides writing garbage for others to fix?

Comment

That's sarcasm for sure, but I do wonder how GNOME developers managed to make everything so slow and inefficient and why it took so long to find out. Maybe it's a good idea to browse through the shaders generated for mutter and look for more.
                The majority of Gnome devs do not use Linux or the Gnome desktop enviroment. Majority of them use macbooks. They dont care since they dont need to live with the consequences of bugs in software that they dont use

Comment

Are you dumb or just trolling? I never said DdV is the sole contributor to gnome, but without him its performance and usability would be pre alpha stage. What are other gnome devs going besides writing garbage for others to fix?
                  So, you are not only unable to read code, you are also unable to recollect what you wrote 5 minutes ago. You wrote "Without Daniel there would be no Gnome Shell or Mutter", which in fact implies that he is the only contributor that does anything that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post

So, you are not only unable to read code, you are also unable to recollect what you wrote 5 minutes ago. You wrote "Without Daniel there would be no Gnome Shell or Mutter", which in fact implies that he is the only contributor that does anything that matters.
                    Correct, there would be just unusable garbage. And who are you trying to impress with your ability to "read code"? Did you learn it yesterday and want to show off?

Comment

The question is, what are the rest of GNOME devs doing, besides outreachy and other bullshit? Without Daniel there would be no Gnome Shell or Mutter
                      They're fixing their MacOS laptops.

Comment

Working...
                      X