Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 Beta 2 Released For This Open-Source, Vulkan-Supported Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.0 Beta 2 Released For This Open-Source, Vulkan-Supported Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.0 Beta 2 Released For This Open-Source, Vulkan-Supported Office Suite

LibreOffice 7.0 is aiming for release in early August but for that release to be a success they need help in testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the fuss about? Could someone explain why is the switch to vulkan so important?
    I cannot imagine a workload that would require so much GPU processing power to benefit from vulkan. OpenGL should be just fine for drawing antialiased glyphs or even layering gradients and images.

Comment

had any one tested if transitions in Impress finally work on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Leprechaunius View Post
        What is the fuss about? Could someone explain why is the switch to vulkan so important?
        I cannot imagine a workload that would require so much GPU processing power to benefit from vulkan. OpenGL should be just fine for drawing antialiased glyphs or even layering gradients and images.
        I think it is because Cairo has not received much love for a while. Michael once wrote: "At least from some basic testing, the LibreOffice Skia+Vulkan configuration does appear to be a bit faster when dealing with scrolling / presentation of large documents/spreadsheets." But we don't know if that's because of the transition to Skia or from the Vulkan renderer.

Without any benchmark we can't know for sure.

Comment

Looking forward to the official release. It sounds very promising with its new Vulkan rendering!

Comment

I don't think anyone expects Vulkan to do any better than OpenGL for an office suite but along with it having a lot of user mindshare it could also be a preemptive step to move the Mac client towards MoltenVK for if/when Apple does finally pull the plug on OpenGL support.

Comment

what's the easiest way to install it on ubuntu 20.04? instead or alongside LO6.4

Comment

I hope that it will feel more fresh, modern, smooth, refined and fun. LibreOffice 6.4 feels very old school.

Comment

Will problems with changing UI (user interface) theme (and icon theme) continue?
                  I've last Gnome and the black theme looks terrible..

Comment

Your right is not about GPU processing as such because that not the worst problem.

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                    I don't think anyone expects Vulkan to do any better than OpenGL for an office suite but along with it having a lot of user mindshare it could also be a preemptive step to move the Mac client towards MoltenVK for if/when Apple does finally pull the plug on OpenGL support.
                    Vulkan does have a few advantages. Low CPU overhead using Vulkan than Opengl. Vulkan properly support multi threaded supply of content to screen surfaces this will help with the horrible where a person like put 100 images+ to a page.

Comment

Working...
                    X