GNOME Shell Continues Eyeing Improvements As It Approaches 10 Years Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    iv'e had nothing but trouble with screensavers so i dont use them no more. mostl;y when a screensaver kicks in are you actually at the computer ?
    The screen saver could start when you log out.
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    More than likely not, by having a computer go to sleep, i would of though your saving power , , screensavers are so 19th century.
    True when you work on a notebook. Compared to 4 displays and few servers, 1W doesn't matter. Even my notebook works 24/7 for 4 years. It's time to replace it ​ In my case, this is very important for each of the ~300 computers to display Company logo before the CC consultant logs in. For now I have to use Xorg in XFCE ..

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
      SuSE like(s/d) KDE, but SuSE never really made it big outside of Europe - or, rather, the only people I've met which use it regularly hail from there.
      The same goes with Fedora I reckon. Don't know of many people using it in Europe. And I don't think it really expanded beyond the US.
      If Gnome is the number one Linux DE, I don't believe Fedora/Red Hat are the main spread vector.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

The massive tradeoff on Unity was all change were specific for Ubuntu outsidde the original libraries. Majority of distributions gave up porting because it was a nightmare code wise.
        Mutter still needs re-factoring to fully take advantage of the new GTK engine considering the remaining codes from the X server era to fully use Wayland libraries which is time consuming. The team behind Budgie would need to actively participate to the effort rather than keeping fragmenting the desktop environment for another decades.

Complaining here in this forum is counter-productive as you could use your time contributing to the project.
        I'm no developer. I'm a business and process oriented high level user. I'm closer to the average Joe than most developers will ever be, and I document their use cases. So I have a view on functionalities that is more pragmatic and for that matter I believe it's more productive than burying one's head in the sand, imposing a one-track thinking workflow and failing to acknowledge the diversity of workflows.

I'm not complaining for the sake of it, I have a solid background as I document for a living what end users want (then pass it on to IT).

In addition to that, since I also perform UATs on a professional level, I frequently report bugs (when I have time) as effectively as possible, with a description, steps to reproduce, expected result and actual result. Around ten-a dozen a year I would say.

So I contribute as much as my non abstract abilities allow me...

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          The same goes with Fedora I reckon. Don't know of many people using it in Europe. And I don't think it really expanded beyond the US.
          If Gnome is the number one Linux DE, I don't believe Fedora/Red Hat are the main spread vector.
          I do think RedHat/CentOS is a big driving force for widespread usage of Gnome, installer defaults are a powerful thing... after all Microsoft have leveraged it for years.

RedHat and their service-as-a-service model worked quite well, it's the same idea as Windows in a way; by purchasing something, you have the ability to turn around and complain when something breaks... and the one time I ran a RedHat license they did try very hard to help with issues I had. Companies like that.

Comment

I hated GNOME for years too until I just gave myself a week to get used to it and learn the keyboard shortcuts. The keyboard is integral to GNOME, which is what a lot of new users don't understand. I rarely use my mouse anymore. It has the benefits of a tiling WM with additional spatial awareness. My single monitor setups no longer feel constrained.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
              I hated GNOME for years too until I just gave myself a week to get used to it and learn the keyboard shortcuts. The keyboard is integral to GNOME, which is what a lot of new users don't understand. I rarely use my mouse anymore. It has the benefits of a tiling WM with additional spatial awareness. My single monitor setups no longer feel constrained.
              I'm glad it works for you, but it's not just the workflow I hate about GNOME. I've never liked their sense of aesthetics, and I've always been the "It's my computer. It will adapt to whatever I don't want to change about myself" type, to the point where I've done things like ripping out the GTK+ update notifier used in Lubuntu Linux and replaced it with a quick Zenity-based hack (now nicer) because they removed the dconf key to turn off the daily "You should reboot to update your kernel" nags.

(I don't care what I should do. I've blacklisted businesses for managing to get ads in front of my eyes, and penalized businesses like the Rona chain of hardware stores for annoying me with growth hacking (those "Why don't you subscribe to our newsletter?" popups). If it nags, and it can't be turned off, it goes. For having that annoying nag, Rona has become the absolute last choice when I'm trying to find a part I need, even if that means my purchase total is a couple of dollars more.)

Comment

Working...
              X