GNOME Shell Continues Eyeing Improvements As It Approaches 10 Years Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    So many years with the worst user interface...

I hope GNOME4 stops using this android/mac interface and moves to something more usable.
    The reason macOS, Android, and iOS use that style of interface is because it is modern and *most* people find it more usable. More OS's use this style today than don't and most have elements of it (ala Win10/KDE) Gnome 3 was a pioneer of this style.. And *you* don't have to like it, XFCE exists and is great too.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

The reason macOS, Android, and iOS use that style of interface is because it is modern and *most* people find it more usable. More OS's use this style today than don't and most have elements of it (ala Win10/KDE) Gnome 3 was a pioneer of this style.. And *you* don't have to like it, XFCE exists and is great too.
      I take it you haven't kept up with XFCE then. The CSD and GTK3 transition is making them closer to GNOME and Mate than what XFCE traditionalists would like...to the point that it risks becoming GNOME JR with 4.16. A quick glace at their forums shows a bit of backlash against it and some users are even sticking to older versions. I moved to Plasma myself. Qt was the lesser of two evils. CSD vs CLA; CLA won

The GTK3 transition was enough for me to jump ship so I get a whenever I read up on recent XFCE news.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        So many years with the worst user interface...

I hope GNOME4 stops using this android/mac interface and moves to something more usable.
        Many people do like it.

I think that if people want a different interface, they have many choices. Gnome should keep doing what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          240Hz All the big distributors made an independent and thorough evaluation on the desktops. And they consistently picked GNOME.
          No doubt that microsoft and IBM prefer gnome.

Originally posted by nabero View Post

Unfortunately, putting more developers on KDE won't make it a better DE. At least we have a usable one, no need for more.
          yes it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Many people do like it.

I think that if people want a different interface, they have many choices. Gnome should keep doing what they do.
            Then I am not "most people".

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              240Hz All the big distributors made an independent and thorough evaluation on the desktops. And they consistently picked GNOME.
              Which is why Desktop linux is a joke with an irrelevant market share and not taken seriously by anyone. Thanks trannies at Gnome HQ!

Comment

10 years, o'rly!? I'm old.. 10y and Gnome (Wayland) still doesn't have Screensaver and Live Wallpaper by default

Comment

And all those people liking Gnome3 the way it is are eating popcorn now, like me

Comment

Didn't see a comment section on the blog post, but I would love to see them incorporate some of the ideas like the App Library from iOS14 or the "Search Anywhere" feature into Gnome...it seems it would be a natural evolution.

Comment

10 years to be half usable with 17 extensions...

By Ubuntu 14.04, Canonical was already ahead with Unity of what Gnome is 6 years later.

After 6 years of Gnome 2, then 6 of Unity, I've been struggling to get anything out of Gnome Shell for the last 3 years... It's such a huge disappointment. A lot of potential completely screwed by heads buried in the sand.
                      So much so that I'm writing from Budgie, I've been using it alternatively with Gnome in the last month. Much more customizable to say the least. You don't feel trapped the way you are in Gnome. I'm starting to feel again the true power of GTK. Hopefully they complete their move away from Mutter by Budgie 11.

Comment

Working...
                      X