• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mos87
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    2D has always been expensive
    Tell this to us in 2001 gasping at Windows XP's wopping 128 MB abs min RAM requirement.
    Yeah, the same winxp that could draw fades ins/out, shadows, and a bunch of other stuff to boot.
    Not many had something called "a 3D accelerator" installed back then. Let alone heard of such thing as "compositing".
    Pretty mind-boggling eh?

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    Woah.

Suspected as much.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    3.38 gonna be fast.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Even windows not being presented at all were not being vulled and that leads to a huge waste especially at high resolutions.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    The culling fixes make a huge difference on iGPUs if you have more than a one or two big windows open.

I disagree though, Intel GPUs are still quite weak for 4K (or multiple 1080p/1440p screens). This makes it more bearable though.

Leave a comment:

• 240Hz
    replied

Imagine if instead of spending so much time, energy and effort into getting gnome to become barely usable, the effort instead went into improving KDE.
    The linux desktop experience today would be 100 times better than it is currently. G*ome is the worst thing to have ever happened to the Linux Desktop and the linux community.

Leave a comment:

• V1tol
    replied
    Like I said in one of previous discussions, modern Intel GPU should be definitely capable of 4K@60 FPS. That fix makes it more possible

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Sometimes it's mind blowing that GPUs are able to draw complex 3D scenes but can struggle with drawing 10 windows on a desktop. At whatever resolution, with whatever bugs. The question shouldn't be being able to reach 60 fps but whether it's 5000 or 6000.
    Basically if you have ten maximized windows and they all get painted for each frame, it means that the renderer is in fact rendering ten "frames" for each actual frame. Most of the work is probably computed in the CPU and it has to push out each frame at a flat rate or they will be discarded due to vsync.

I have actually been wondering about jumpy mouse cursor for a few days now. It seems to occur at random but persistently. This bug could very well explain that as well.

Leave a comment:

• omer666
    replied
    Looks like we need to go back to the Voodoo + Matrox era

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Where are you getting all this from? And how is ray tracing meant to improve 2D composition? (in the sense of desktop UI)

There's plenty of techniques to handle this more efficiently on the GPU, it's not as you describe.

Your models/meshes are 2D quads, 4 verts for a window with a render texture to composite to and with the rest of the desktop. Pixel shaders can be used by compositors for effects, pretty sure you'll find that with some of kwins.
    You are mistaking compositor effects for the whole rendering, this is not the case. Yes modern compositors use 2D meshes and a texture in order to handle windows and add pixel effects, but this is AFTER the window is drawn. There is no premade texture of your let's say GTK window to be sent to the compositor, it has to be drawn in real time per frame. Then after it is drawn it becomes a texture and can be handled like every 3D model. Unless this has changed and i am not aware of it.

What i wanted to say is that we should be using pixel shaders to actually draw the window and create the texture itself. That would remove some bottlenecks i think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X