• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Radtraveller

• Radtraveller
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Yes, I was going to to say the same thing... 3d accelerator cards first started appearing in the mid-90s, from names like 3dfx and Matrox, and a little later ATI and NVidia. They were luxuries for gamers to start with, of course, but by the time Windows XP came along, some form of hardware acceleration was pretty much standard on any PC...
    I might still have a pci voodo3 2000 around here somewhere... Maybe time to try it out again.. ;-p.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Actually, in 2001, most people had a 3D accelerator of some sort, even a typical S3 with 2MB of VRAM for example.
    Yes, I was going to to say the same thing... 3d accelerator cards first started appearing in the mid-90s, from names like 3dfx and Matrox, and a little later ATI and NVidia. They were luxuries for gamers to start with, of course, but by the time Windows XP came along, some form of hardware acceleration was pretty much standard on any PC...

Leave a comment:

• intelfx

• intelfx
    replied
    Okay, well, the shit is real. I've built Mutter / GS from gnome-3-36 branch and it works better than Windows 10 did on my X1C6 with 4K external display (esp. with multiple Firefox windows opened).

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by mos87 View Post
    Tell this to us in 2001 gasping at Windows XP's wopping 128 MB abs min RAM requirement.
    Yeah, the same winxp that could draw fades ins/out, shadows, and a bunch of other stuff to boot.
    Not many had something called "a 3D accelerator" installed back then. Let alone heard of such thing as "compositing".
    Pretty mind-boggling eh?

Actually, in 2001, most people had a 3D accelerator of some sort, even a typical S3 with 2MB of VRAM for example. Your memory fails you. Windows XP required a SVGA gpu and those included many 2D hardware functions. And the windows xp flashy effects even though not 3D were very expensive for the day. And weren't that impressive. Yes 2D has always been expensive. It is just that in 2020, hardware became much more powerful due to Moore's Law, but screen resolutions didn't really increase in the same way. We went from something typical to 1024x768 to 1920x1080p and now to 3840x2160. This is what, 8 times higher amount of pixels at best, when we are talking 4K? CPUs and GPUs (and RAM) were upgraded far more than just 8 times in the last 20 years. That is why 2D does not seem "expensive" these days, and why gpu vendors removed much 2D dedicated functionality. Still, modern GUIs are inefficient, because they don't actually fully exploit the 3D pipeline to render the desktop. They should be using the gpu to actually draw everything, not just for compositing. In fact, compositing shouldn't exist at all. "Compositing" means that you take the 2D windows and composite them into a 3D accelarated screen. You composite 2D graphics with 3D graphics. We should advance to processing everything on the gpu, literally everything, the OS should handle the screen like a 3D game pipeline, just send instructions to the gpu for rendering. I don't think we are doing it now. Hell, even just ditching X11 has taken ages.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    everytime I try out GNOME, I keep trying to make it look like PLASMA.. lmao I just can't NOT hate tablet desktop designs.
    I just can't use distracting non-simplistic look,.. I need to focus on work, and fancy look just distracts me from the work. KDE before version 4 was usable also, but since version 4 it's all way too fancy too disturbing.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick

• theriddick
    replied
    everytime I try out GNOME, I keep trying to make it look like PLASMA.. lmao I just can't NOT hate tablet desktop designs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post

You can mimic Unity pretty well in Budgie too.

Not with the default plank dock, but by adding a left panel (with the icon task list applet) in addition to the top panel. The pixel saver applet also lets you get the title bars in the top bar (although contrary to Gnome Unite extension you can't grab the top bar to unmaximize the windows). There's also a global menu applet, although I've never been a fan.
    It's gtk as well, so all themes are working seamlessly.

On a lovely Gnome news today, wobbly windows are back with a working extension this time. Moving windows feel smooth once more.
    Budgie is bugged, at least last time I tried it (half a year ago)... However, Budgie goes for more elegant simplistic design, than GNOME 3. So, if it wasn't bugged, I would have stayed with it.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268

• smitty3268
    replied
    Gears at 15fps?

That seems slow.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by Veto View Post
    It must be a conspiracy! Especially when it is so obvious that KDE is the one true dektop destined to rule them all

Not really. E.g. the most recent tests showed it to be essentially a draw.
    - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...desktops&num=1

Thanks for the tip! Some day I really ought to try KDE again. But frankly my current setup works quite well, and if it ain't broken...
    However, there are some quite good KDE apps I use with great pleasure, like Krusader and Krita - a big thanks to whomever is bringing us those
    You can mimic Unity pretty well in Budgie too.

Not with the default plank dock, but by adding a left panel (with the icon task list applet) in addition to the top panel. The pixel saver applet also lets you get the title bars in the top bar (although contrary to Gnome Unite extension you can't grab the top bar to unmaximize the windows). There's also a global menu applet, although I've never been a fan.
    It's gtk as well, so all themes are working seamlessly.

On a lovely Gnome news today, wobbly windows are back with a working extension this time. Moving windows feel smooth once more.

Leave a comment:

• Veto

• Veto
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    KDEs issues would are due to receiving much less funding and manpower than Gnome, as Microsoft, IBM, etc all prefer to see the Linux desktop be crippled by Gnome.
    KDE achieves far more with less resources than Gnome, and with the same resources it would be an unparalleled superior Desktop experience.
    It must be a conspiracy! Especially when it is so obvious that KDE is the one true dektop destined to rule them all

Mutter is inferior to KDE plasma wayland session as has been shown numerous times on phoronix performance tests.
    Not really. E.g. the most recent tests showed it to be essentially a draw.

Latte Dock can mimic unity exactly and is even superior to it. Latte Dock is part of KDE software.
    Thanks for the tip! Some day I really ought to try KDE again. But frankly my current setup works quite well, and if it ain't broken...
    However, there are some quite good KDE apps I use with great pleasure, like Krusader and Krita - a big thanks to whomever is bringing us those

Leave a comment:

Working...
X