Xfce's Xfdesktop 4.15 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Of course Xfce is moving to CSD, it’s year 2020!
    Change is inevitable; progress is not...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Of course XFCE is moving to CSD, it’s year 2020!
      do you work as a children animator IRL as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        Thunar 4.15 got also released and even more 4.15.x related packages.

Though.... Many users probably won't like the CSD changes made... 4.15 will be a hard transition for many Xfce4 users.

I still hope, they find a good middle thing to polish everything up, so both sides (the old Theme lovers) and new CSD (gnomification) lovers can get along. Specially butons that got placed in the gtk toolbar kinda thing I hope the over uglyfication with putting help and cancel in the toolbar (thunar volumemanager) can be reverted to an state that it fits the looks of the other xfce programs (e.g. new CSD but the help and cancel button still remain at the bottom).
        Yes CSD will be a hard pill to swallow.I cannot speak for anyone else, but I like XFCE because of it's simplicity and "classic" feel. I didn't like Gnome 3's look and feel, probably won't like XFCE with CSD either, we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          Things to come with Xfce 4.15

1) Move from xfconf xml backend to gsettings backend (still optional). With other words: from xml to binary blob configuration...
          OK...

So why the move to a binary blob for config?

Or rather, why the move away from a Human Readable/Fixable/'Open' xml??

Thanks,
          Martin

Comment

Originally posted by glock24 View Post

Yes CSD will be a hard pill to swallow.
            As said before in this tread it's 2020. It's just sad, since since CSD was a bad idea with win95 and still is.

But that's options you loose when using a toolkit from an uncooperative vendor/community, you get forced bad design decisions like this.
            Time to realize the cause of the problem and fix it like many other projects already have done, switch to Qt.
            Then Xfce may retain sane functionality, improve code quality, increase desktop performance and productivity of it's developers.

Comment

Working...
            X