Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME's Mutter Sees More Cleaning That Ultimately Could Help Foster Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFAIK there are/were a lot of Xwayland fixes queued up for the next big release which may not be being utilised as we are still on the 1.20 stable series.

Especially important where you use mutter with some apps falling back to xwayland.

Comment

Don't waste a lot of time with Mutter's shit, better focus on Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        Don't waste a lot of time with Mutter's shit, better focus on Xorg.
        he most likely focus in what is paid for. IBM says to work in Mutter, he work in Mutter its a job

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist View Post
          I love GNOME, I really do, but aren't there more issues (bottleneck) with its use of Javascript in GNOME Shell than hardware acceleration of the desktop? Fix the stuttering and incorporate multithreading first. Then think about Vulkan support.
          Well you see the work on Mutter is what's needed to fix those issues you care about. Vulkan allows for lower level access and explicitly supports multithreading while OpenGL does not. So, with Vulkan support, they are doing exactly what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
            AFAIK there are/were a lot of Xwayland fixes queued up for the next big release which may not be being utilised as we are still on the 1.20 stable series.

Especially important where you use mutter with some apps falling back to xwayland.
            True, but I'd also rather they focus on having more applications support Wayland. Of course, certain third party software will probably never support it.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              The mutter devs got most of that stuff backported to 1.20.x.
              ..which is why 1.21 wouldn't be a "big release", as you claim.

you will continue complaining about stuff where you got no power or merits.
              Yeah, why should anyone listen to what users want?

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist
                I love GNOME, I really do, but aren't there more issues (bottleneck) with its use of Javascript in GNOME Shell
                No, Gnome issues have nothing to do with JavaScript, but architectural design.

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist View Post
                  I love GNOME, I really do, but aren't there more issues (bottleneck) with its use of Javascript in GNOME Shell than hardware acceleration of the desktop? Fix the stuttering and incorporate multithreading first. Then think about Vulkan support.
                  Works for me - silky smooth actually. What stutters for you?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                    Works for me - silky smooth actually. What stutters for you?
                    There is no such setup for which it "just works". If you don't see anything wrong, it's because you don't know where to look at. On Xorg, however, the issues are less prominent as the current generation of Mutter was specifically designed to be optimal on Xorg, and most of the bottlenecks are in the code that hacks this Xorg-targeting release to work on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      They do need to get their heads out of their butts and release 1.21 though.
                      to please novideo slaves?

Comment

Working...
                      X