Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME's Mutter Sees More Cleaning That Ultimately Could Help Foster Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Sees More Cleaning That Ultimately Could Help Foster Vulkan Support

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Sees More Cleaning That Ultimately Could Help Foster Vulkan Support

A Cogl driver API clean-up within GNOME's Mutter code-base was merged this week after being open for two months. This cleanup could ultimately help if/when Mutter decides to add a Vulkan back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think that Vulkan support will definitely arrive at some point in all DEs. All modern major hardware support it, even phones and tablets do these days.

Comment

I love GNOME, I really do, but aren't there more issues (bottleneck) with its use of Javascript in GNOME Shell than hardware acceleration of the desktop? Fix the stuttering and incorporate multithreading first. Then think about Vulkan support.

Comment

mutter - what a poor name. Should be Gutter. Or GNUtter.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          mutter - what a poor name. Should be Gutter. Or GNUtter.
          This reminds me of some good old stuff...

Mutter! Ich habe nie danach geschrien geboren zu werden!
          (mother! I never cried out to be born!)
          Last edited by George99; 19 June 2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

If only these efforts were spent on TempleOS instead....

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              It’s good to know that Adam Jackson is not wasting too much time on xserver or x11.
              Well, there's not a ton to do. They do need to get their heads out of their butts and release 1.21 though.

Oh, and 9/10 on the trolling. Only you could somehow link a Vulkan backend for Mutter with Xserver demise because there's a dev that works on both. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
                If only these efforts were spent on TempleOS instead....
                Ooh, Vulkan on TempleOS - please, please, please!

Comment

couldn't, with vulkan, you have a GBM and EGL-less desktop experience? I am not sure, but I think I heard something like that. In that case, it would make the wayland situation a tiny bit easier

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    DanL Why bother with a big xserver release which comes with few benefits and years and years of maintenance?
                    We've already discussed that. Why should I go into it again when you never learn anyway?

Comment

Working...
                    X