X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by mtk0 View Post
    it is the year 2020. i've been using unix since 1982. i've been using linux since the late 90's (daily). and i'm *still* waiting for a desktop environment that can save my open applications, their screen position and sizes, and their virtual root window placements as part of a persistent session. i'm old. and at this point i feel like i'm going to kick the bucket before this ever happens :-).
    Enlightenment can do all of that. There's a comprehensive list of "remember" settings for just this.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    i'm *still* waiting for a desktop environment that can save my open applications, their screen position and sizes, and their virtual root window placements as part of a persistent session. i'm old. and at this point i feel like i'm going to kick the bucket before this ever happens :-).
    Plasma manages to do that well with some of the "native" apps like Kate and Dolphin. Stuff like Chrome though matches all that except virtual desktop assignment iirc(which is understandable, and not something plasma/kwin can do without some sort of integration to match specific windows to different virtual desktops).

There's also hibernation (and technically suspend), or if you use a VM(can run as good as native if configured right), that can then snapshot state or leverage hibernation(should be more reliable than with variety of physical hardware hibernation issues), while you update the host system and reboot.

Another one is a shift to containerization. Something flatpak might be able to support? I remember there is an interesting russian project, CRIU, which also sort of supports this on a per app basis, but isn't perfect.

With plasma, if the specific apps on virtual desktops (or I've misunderstood and you mean those sub-windows that an app can spawn as pop-ups or complimentary windows), kwin is meant to be able to in most cases grab / apply window rules to pin size/position/virtual-desktop/etc for windows if you want that. Doesn't work well with apps that have instances and no unique identifier to reliably distinguish is from other instances though.

Leave a comment:

• StarterX4
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007
    Yesterday I installed Neon for trying. Heavy, heavy, and heavy. The the only ram usage say nothing. Kde4 Plasma was way better.
    One year ago i had Lenovo IdeaPad 100 15IBY with Intel HD Graphics, Celeron N2840, 8GB ram – and yup, it was lagging badly, a bit less with disabled composition. Now on IdeaPad 500-15ISK 80NT with i5 6200U, HD Graphics 520 + R7 M360, 12GB ram, it works like a dream.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    KDE 4 on suse/opensuse was very good. As was KDE 3 before it. Use the correct setup and stay away from tragic RedHat and Canonical messes, and you'll nearly always do well.
    I can't believe people still hate Plasma 4 to this day... Come on, it was the most polished version of Plasma (before Plasma 5 of course) at the end of its life! (4.14)
    It has even more customization possibilities than Plasma 5, even to this day.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

LOL. Plasma 5 isn't perfect and I actually gave up on it (but it's still better than some other DE's out there!), but no way in hell that that KDE 4 crap was better. KDE 4 should've never been marked stable. Even GNOME Shell is better than KDE 4 ever was.
    KDE 4 on suse/opensuse was very good. As was KDE 3 before it. Use the correct setup and stay away from tragic RedHat and Canonical messes, and you'll nearly always do well.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

FYI, the Tandy Co. had a 6809E which sported pseudo 16bit capabilities in that you could combine the 8 bit A&B accumulators to give a 16 bit D register, I owned a clone of it at the time. The TI-99 was fully 16 bit.
    I know that. By "8-bit era" I meant as in the '70-'80's.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

How usable is the low latency patch with wayland? As far as I know it didnt support wayland before. I might build it myself instead.
    As of this point, none. I only support X11.

In a future I might add in the FT patches for better Wayland support but since they are forking every library I am not sure.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Those were the times.

Sadly, it's 2020 and Average Joe hasn't grown up in the 8-bit computer era anymore.
    FYI, the Tandy Co. had a 6809E which sported pseudo 16bit capabilities in that you could combine the 8 bit A&B accumulators to give a 16 bit D register, I owned a clone of it at the time. The TI-99 was fully 16 bit.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

At one time when the average Joe bought their Vic 20, Tandy Color, ZX Spectrum etc a blinking cursor was all they had and no fancy GUI, I remember those days well.

Cue the four Yorkshiremen
    I don't believe you

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    it is the year 2020. i've been using unix since 1982. i've been using linux since the late 90's (daily). and i'm *still* waiting for a desktop environment that can save my open applications, their screen position and sizes, and their virtual root window placements as part of a persistent session. i'm old. and at this point i feel like i'm going to kick the bucket before this ever happens :-).
    I've wanted to be able to save scum my desktop environment as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X