KDE Developers Begin Working More On Plasma 5.20 Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtk0 View Post
    i'm *still* waiting for a desktop environment that can save my open applications, their screen position and sizes, and their virtual root window placements as part of a persistent session. i'm old. and at this point i feel like i'm going to kick the bucket before this ever happens :-).
    Plasma manages to do that well with some of the "native" apps like Kate and Dolphin. Stuff like Chrome though matches all that except virtual desktop assignment iirc(which is understandable, and not something plasma/kwin can do without some sort of integration to match specific windows to different virtual desktops).

There's also hibernation (and technically suspend), or if you use a VM(can run as good as native if configured right), that can then snapshot state or leverage hibernation(should be more reliable than with variety of physical hardware hibernation issues), while you update the host system and reboot.

Another one is a shift to containerization. Something flatpak might be able to support? I remember there is an interesting russian project, CRIU, which also sort of supports this on a per app basis, but isn't perfect.

With plasma, if the specific apps on virtual desktops (or I've misunderstood and you mean those sub-windows that an app can spawn as pop-ups or complimentary windows), kwin is meant to be able to in most cases grab / apply window rules to pin size/position/virtual-desktop/etc for windows if you want that. Doesn't work well with apps that have instances and no unique identifier to reliably distinguish is from other instances though.

Comment

it is the year 2020. i've been using unix since 1982. i've been using linux since the late 90's (daily). and i'm *still* waiting for a desktop environment that can save my open applications, their screen position and sizes, and their virtual root window placements as part of a persistent session. i'm old. and at this point i feel like i'm going to kick the bucket before this ever happens :-).
      Enlightenment can do all of that. There's a comprehensive list of "remember" settings for just this.

Comment

it is the year 2020. i've been using unix since 1982. i've been using linux since the late 90's (daily). and i'm *still* waiting for a desktop environment that can save my open applications, their screen position and sizes, and their virtual root window placements as part of a persistent session. i'm old. and at this point i feel like i'm going to kick the bucket before this ever happens :-).
        ChromeOS does that but it isn't exactly completly open source Linux. One of the reasons I insist on duel booting my Chromebook that is a killer feature of ChromeOS.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007

Ok, I can use Plasma only with a $300 cpu and a $300 gpu. Not everybody are rich, or have rich parents, like you.
          Too much hyperbole; the cheapest CPUs from both AMD and Intel can more than handle Plasma. And even if they couldn't; there are other DEs that focus more on minimalism. Plasma is for graphical power-users.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
            Yesterday I installed Neon for trying. Heavy, heavy, and heavy. The the only ram usage say nothing. Kde4 Plasma was way better.
            Phoronix did a comparison between KDE and Xfce/Gnome and found out that KDE actually uses a lot less memory/resources. It might be a Neon thing but if I check the amount of memory/CPU that Plasma and other KDE processes use its basically negligable.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

KDE unlike windows works well and provides a good user experience
              Nice Joke but not funny as some people really believe that in their bubble.
              Last edited by Alexmitter; 14 June 2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Exactly! Average Joe refuses to touch the terminal.
                Oh, don't get me wrong. A good terminal is crucial for a good OS, I love using one, scripting and stuff. I was just pointing out, if you're interested about the Plasma version, you're not logged into a headless server, you might as well use the better tool for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Nice Joke but not funny as some people really believe that in their bubble.
                  It's not a joke. Windows is usability disaster and resource hog.

Comment

Well, then you're waiting for the wrong thing to happen. The DE cannot restore your app by itself, the DE does not know about application's data. In order for restore to work, each and every app has to cooperate. As has been the case for years, some do and some don't. I don't see that changing, but that's not the DE's fault.

In my case, KDE restores Konsole (with tabs), Firefox, Krusader just fine. IntelliJ Idea/Android Studio, not so much; I think it misses some open files from time to time. That's what I use most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's not a joke. Windows is usability disaster and resource hog.
                      Yes, just like KDE. But at least windows isn't based on Qt.

Comment

Working...
                      X