Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Oops sorry I thought you were using another DE for a moment o-o
    How usable is the low latency patch with wayland? As far as I know it didnt support wayland before. I might build it myself instead.

Comment

This is sort of true though, since Windows XP and Windows 7 were faster back then.

(Windows XP is buggy though)
      More lightweight than Windows 10 for sure. I was avoiding switch from 7 for a long, but it's EOL so I didn't have a choice. However, there's just very few things I need it for and in not so distant future I'll remove it completely.
      Last edited by Volta; 13 June 2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtk0 View Post
        it is the year 2020. i've been using unix since 1982. i've been using linux since the late 90's (daily). and i'm *still* waiting for a desktop environment that can save my open applications, their screen position and sizes, and their virtual root window placements as part of a persistent session. i'm old. and at this point i feel like i'm going to kick the bucket before this ever happens :-).
        I've wanted to be able to save scum my desktop environment as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

At one time when the average Joe bought their Vic 20, Tandy Color, ZX Spectrum etc a blinking cursor was all they had and no fancy GUI, I remember those days well.

Cue the four Yorkshiremen
          I don't believe you

Comment

Those were the times.

Sadly, it's 2020 and Average Joe hasn't grown up in the 8-bit computer era anymore.
            FYI, the Tandy Co. had a 6809E which sported pseudo 16bit capabilities in that you could combine the 8 bit A&B accumulators to give a 16 bit D register, I owned a clone of it at the time. The TI-99 was fully 16 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

How usable is the low latency patch with wayland? As far as I know it didnt support wayland before. I might build it myself instead.
              As of this point, none. I only support X11.

In a future I might add in the FT patches for better Wayland support but since they are forking every library I am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

FYI, the Tandy Co. had a 6809E which sported pseudo 16bit capabilities in that you could combine the 8 bit A&B accumulators to give a 16 bit D register, I owned a clone of it at the time. The TI-99 was fully 16 bit.
                I know that. By "8-bit era" I meant as in the '70-'80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

LOL. Plasma 5 isn't perfect and I actually gave up on it (but it's still better than some other DE's out there!), but no way in hell that that KDE 4 crap was better. KDE 4 should've never been marked stable. Even GNOME Shell is better than KDE 4 ever was.
                  KDE 4 on suse/opensuse was very good. As was KDE 3 before it. Use the correct setup and stay away from tragic RedHat and Canonical messes, and you'll nearly always do well.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    KDE 4 on suse/opensuse was very good. As was KDE 3 before it. Use the correct setup and stay away from tragic RedHat and Canonical messes, and you'll nearly always do well.
                    I can't believe people still hate Plasma 4 to this day... Come on, it was the most polished version of Plasma (before Plasma 5 of course) at the end of its life! (4.14)
                    It has even more customization possibilities than Plasma 5, even to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
                      Yesterday I installed Neon for trying. Heavy, heavy, and heavy. The the only ram usage say nothing. Kde4 Plasma was way better.
                      One year ago i had Lenovo IdeaPad 100 15IBY with Intel HD Graphics, Celeron N2840, 8GB ram – and yup, it was lagging badly, a bit less with disabled composition. Now on IdeaPad 500-15ISK 80NT with i5 6200U, HD Graphics 520 + R7 M360, 12GB ram, it works like a dream.

Comment

Working...
                      X