No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.20 Released With Better Adobe PSD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure there are other image editors out there but I've used The GIMP for so long I feel so comfortable in it. It's great software, must have.

Some improvements I can think of for 2020:
    - Better Filter plugins. (there is a Instagram filter and beautify, they are ok but could use some love.. sometimes hard to install on some platforms)
    - Export image crop formats for various social media sites. (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. Yeah, you can do it manually but it'd be nice just to press a button like other apps.)
    - Better macOS package, I find the macports version on X11 to be the best right now.
    - Spell Check
    Last edited by k1e0x; 12 June 2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

GIMP is like Photoshop but 10 years behind.
      I don't know. Photoshop still has that central server approach as seen in 1970's mainframes.

Sure, they might be doing it for control and DRM purposes rather than any technical merit but it is still an ancient design full of issues.

Gimp is modern in that it can run on something called a "personal" computer.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I don't know. Photoshop still has that central server approach as seen in 1970's mainframes.

Sure, they might be doing it for control and DRM purposes rather than any technical merit but it is still an ancient design full of issues.

Gimp is modern in that it can run on something called a "personal" computer.
        I meant as in features.

Comment

Oh also.. the things I mentioned in the above post I'd like to see more and it might be kind of wish list'ey.. but has Gimp team thought about an iOS version? iPad's are pretty good image editors.. It sucks to export to mac just so I can use the gimp (and do all the fanaglaging with iPhoto export/import, Trust me, I blame iPhoto for this. it's dumb the library isn't unified across all your devices)
          Last edited by k1e0x; 12 June 2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

As a person who regularly hears that sort of thing, being part of the GIMP team, I know how all these claims usually end. You tell them to actually read release notes, and then...

- Wait, I can now...

And the list goes on.
            Some people actually need the "flashy by default" look in software. GIMP certainly looks old (mostly because GTK+ 2), leaving you with the impression that not much is going on in the development effort. I don't know how large is this user segment but if it's possible it would be nice to ship GIMP with very easy ways to switch the UI to a more modern look, in 1-2 clicks, like we can toggle the single-window mode.

Yes, I would certainly use that feature if it wouldn't impact usability in any way, because I also enjoy software that looks (more) polished. But what I want from GIMP more than anything, is exactly what's going on - constant improvements. So thank you all for making it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
              Some improvements I can think of for 2020:
              - Better Filter plugins. (there is a Instagram filter and beautify, they are ok but could use some love.. sometimes hard to install on some platforms)
              That's not specific enough to be actionable, I'm afraid

And given on the backlash the beautify filter developer got some years ago, I would rather not see it in GIMP. We have enough problems with vocal people already.

- Export image crop formats for various social media sites. (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. Yeah, you can do it manually but it'd be nice just to press a button like other apps.)
              I'm not sure how that is going to work. Cropping requires a human telling a program how to crop. Why and how would it be on the exporting stage?

- Better macOS package, I find the macports version on X11 to be the best right now.
              I can't really comment on that, I do not have Apple devices in my household. All I know is that out macOS guy seems to be finally back and will probably resume hacking on the GTK port for macOS.

- Spell Check
              There's a bug report on that with a proof-of-concept patch that is, however, of very limited use (works in the comment editor).

has Gimp team thought about an iOS version?
              Please see here: https://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.ht...or-ios-devices

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post

Some people actually need the "flashy by default" look in software. GIMP certainly looks old (mostly because GTK+ 2), leaving you with the impression that not much is going on in the development effort.
                Um, I do not have the superpowers to grasp the thought process of each possible GIMP user What I know is that when we introduced the dark theme by default in 2.10, we got lots of response praising us for updating the look to make it more modern, but also quite a bit of hate mail telling us we shouldn't have wasted precious developer time on gimmicks (while, in all actuality, no developer participated in the redesign).

Personally, I heard comparatively little feedback telling that no much is going on with GIMP. Quite the reverse. Most people who say that really don't follow the development at all. So if it takes going so far as sprinkling GIMP with unicorns farting rainbows to get these people's attention, I'd say, hold on, not so fast. Maybe work on important shit instead, like a better text tool. Or non-destructive editing. I'll take boring but stable and feature-complete anytime.

Comment

That's all you could read in my comment? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
                    That's all you could read in my comment? Wow.
                    I'm not sure if that's a complaint

Personally, I don't believe that "flashy UI" is an actionable request. I wouldn't know where to start from it.

Comment

There was no complaint in the first place. You have simply misunderstood my initial comment and replied as such.

Comment

Working...
                      X