No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.20 Released With Better Adobe PSD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile (while waiting for gimp 3) I tried Krita and decided to stay with it (as it can do almost everything gimp does or has some other way to do it)

"Oh but that's for painting and bla bla bla" - all the tools are there, you use them for whatever you want.
    It does facilitate painters life, but it also works perfectly well for photo editing and manipulation ( just like PS)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
      Meanwhile (while waiting for gimp 3) I tried Krita and decided to stay with it
      You know you can use GIMP 2.10.20 while waiting for GIMP 3.0? 😄

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

You know you can use GIMP 2.10.20 while waiting for GIMP 3.0? 😄
        Eh eh eh

Yes, but it really feels I'm stuck in a gimp version that came out ages ago.

Since they release the single window mode it kind of feels they just "freeze"...

I mean... There's nothing new that makes me think "wow, great!!!"

It's like being married for 10 years and your wife keeps on insisting to keep the lights off (if you know what I mean... Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah)

Comment

Since they release the single window mode it kind of feels they just "freeze"...

I mean... There's nothing new that makes me think "wow, great!!!"
          As a person who regularly hears that sort of thing, being part of the GIMP team, I know how all these claims usually end. You tell them to actually read release notes, and then...

- Wait, I can now open a 32-bit photo processed in a raw editor and not lose as many useful shades while color-grading?!
          - Wait, I can now scale, rotate and perspective-correct in the same tool, all at once?!
          - Wait, I can now actually transform a layer while seeing the actual layer beneath it to see what I'm aligning the current layer against?!
          - Wait, I can now preview filters on the canvas and easily compare before/after by dragging this handy "curtain" over the canvas?!
          - Wait, I can now put masks on layer groups?!
          - Wait, the old fugly iWarp plugin with tiny unusable preview is now actually a tool that works right on the canvas? And can erase my warps for realzies?!

And the list goes on.

Comment

I wonder how many months it is gonna take GIMP to land in the APT repository.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

As a person who regularly hears that sort of thing, being part of the GIMP team, I know how all these claims usually end. You tell them to actually read release notes, and then...
              Hi. First of all let of thank you (and the rest Of The gimp team) for all your hard work.

I believe gimp is an important project and has been very useful for me in the past.

I also understand that it's not a big team and that there are not that many contributors...

However if we pickup your list (and I do read Release notes - not always, but usually), I - personally - don't get that "wow" feeling in any of them (sorry!)

I hope you don't think I'm being disrespectful - it's not my intention - but in the last *years* the project appears to have lost some steam. Updates take long time to come and when they arrive it does not get me that "wow".

(it might be me as well, LOL)

I've been ear about gimp 3 since last ice age... Again, I understand it's a lot of work, small team, and so on...

But I think the lack of wows is hurting the community - it surely made me try other programs and jump over to Krita.

It does not mean I won't be back, but for now...

But once again, thank you for all your work on it
              Last edited by Mavman; 12 June 2020, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I hope you don't think I'm being disrespectful - it's not my intention - but in the last *years* the project appears to have lost some steam. Updates take long time to come and when they arrive it does not get me that "wow".

(it might be me as well, LOL)
                Yes, it's really you

We dropped the old release policy two years ago and adopted a new one where we add new features to stable updates. Every year, we release 3-4 new versions with usability improvements, new features, and -- yes -- bug fixes. Compare that to releasing new features into the wild every 2-4-6 years the way it used to be.

We consistently hear from users the opposite of your claim -- that the project is much more active than ever before. Some even attribute that to assumed competition against Krita (which is nonsense, of course).

But once again, thank you for all your work on it
                Thanks

Comment

Yes, it's really you
                  that's possible too, yes LOL, but that's the feeling i still get LOL

We dropped the old release policy two years ago and adopted a new one where we add new features to stable updates. Every year, we release 3-4 new versions with usability improvements, new features, and -- yes -- bug fixes. Compare that to releasing new features into the wild every 2-4-6 years the way it used to be.

We consistently hear from users the opposite of your claim -- that the project is much more active than ever before. Some even attribute that to assumed competition against Krita (which is nonsense, of course).

Thanks
                  hummm maybe i'll give it a try-again someday

Comment

- Wait, I can now open a 32-bit photo processed in a raw editor and not lose as many useful shades while color-grading?!
                    - Wait, I can now scale, rotate and perspective-correct in the same tool, all at once?!
                    - Wait, I can now actually transform a layer while seeing the actual layer beneath it to see what I'm aligning the current layer against?!
                    - Wait, I can now preview filters on the canvas and easily compare before/after by dragging this handy "curtain" over the canvas?!
                    - Wait, I can now put masks on layer groups?!
                    - Wait, the old fugly iWarp plugin with tiny unusable preview is now actually a tool that works right on the canvas? And can erase my warps for realzies?!

And the list goes on.
                    So what? If he likes Krita better, let him use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So what? If he likes Krita better, let him use it.
                      But of course

Comment

Working...
                      X