No announcement yet.

Firefox 77 / 78 Beta vs. Chrome 83 Linux Browser Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox blocks some things out of the box thus loading less and providing at least the same speed as Chrome for a standard user.
    Furthermore Chrome is just bad at using ressources efficiently when many tabs are open, where Firefox shines.
    In real usage there is no advantage for Chrome, beside eventually few habits someone has.

Comment

Both Firefox & Chromium are open source products. Both open source products have other web browsers based from them. The test item here was "CHROME", a commercial closed source product. Seems not many people here know that.
      The other notable ignorance is that most (all?) web browsers usually have add-ons or extensions. Most comments here seem to not know that, and don't use these. The Chromium add-ons are much more diverse & more numerous than the Firefox range. Browsers based off these two open source products usually do not have the ability to use the full range of available "accessories".
      Keen users of web browsers do more than bench tests on just one window, without accessories. Multiple windows, with multiple add-ons of many kinds are usually the case. There are very many privacy protection tools for both FireFox & Chromium based web browsers. Perhaps the true test might be done in standard user settings, with ten open windows, loaded with multimedia files, and a range of similar add-ons for all browsers in the test.

Comment

Originally posted by Firnefex View Post
        Firefox blocks some things out of the box thus loading less and providing at least the same speed as Chrome for a standard user.
        Furthermore Chrome is just bad at using ressources efficiently when many tabs are open, where Firefox shines.
        In real usage there is no advantage for Chrome, beside eventually few habits someone has.
        I'd put it differently. Whether someone uses Firefox or Chromium is a matter of personal preference, but in the case one prefers Chromium, why not using just that? What is the point of using Chrome, which is basically the exact same thing but with Big Brother included?

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
          I'm the opposite - I absolutely hate the Chrome layout. It's over-simplified to the point where it makes it more annoying to use. Ever since Firefox started copying Chrome's UI, it has lost its identity and character. I absolutely loved the bright orange "Firefox" button in the top left on versions 28 and earlier. It made the browser really stand out among the others. When they got rid of it, I used the classic theme restorer for as long as I could until it stopped working. Then at some point they also got rid of the search bar by default (which was another Firefox defining characteristic). I still greatly prefer having a dedicated search bar since I can specify which search engine I want to use, and that it ensures my search term definitely won't try to be resolved as a website.

The problem is really bad at least on Windows:

I mean just look at the above screenshot! To the average user Firefox is essentially visually identical to Edge, and it's not like Chrome is particularly unique either. To less observant people, all three of those browsers basically look the same. I think the Firefox team would do well by adding the search-bar back, emphasize the ability to easily search with different engines, and then put an orange "Firefox" button back on the left, or at least the logo. Something to give the browser some identity.

One of the mean reasons Firefox became so successful in the first place was because of all the features it had and the ability to customize it any way you want. When Chrome started becoming dominant because of Google's aggressive (and frankly anti-competitive) marketing tactics, Mozilla's response was to make FF look like chrome and strip away those features.
          Man, you are right. I remember that orange button, always like it. I wish that i can put back that button. The search bar is still there, on the customization menu, so you can still have it if you like it

Comment

Working...
          X