No announcement yet.

KDE On Wayland Finally Supports Middle-Click Paste With Plasma 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the same boat as indepe , except my mouse wheel isn't a "wheel" - it's a button. You press and hold it to scroll. It works quite well, but before I disabled the middle-click paste, it would very frequently paste into whatever I was scrolling through. It was definitely not designed with the middle-click paste option in mind. However, I'd much rather scroll with it than paste with it, so I've disabled the button action on it entirely for years.

I don't really have any need for it anyway. I'm not really concerned about replacing what's currently in clipboard, since I have history enabled and frequently switch between different clips already.

I have a ".Xmodmap" file in /home/user containing the following to map the middle click to effectively nothing (using Xfce, may or may not work on different DEs):
    pointer = 1 50 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    Last edited by lectrode; 07 June 2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Why you want to disable the greatest invention since sliced bread is beyond my comprehension.

And since you don't use Linux, why would you care?
      Greatest invention? Hardly.

I'm glad it works for you and it (apparently) improves your productivity so greatly. For me though it's just "situationnally quicker".
      The one game-changer for me was the "copy/paste history" tools now bundled with most good environments.

And the one game-changer would be a "swapper" (highlight string 1, highlight string 2, click or use a key or something, 2 replaces 1 "in place", 1 replaces 2 "in copy/paste stack").

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        And what was the deal with KDE 3.5?
        Probably that it was the best environment ever made as far as feature-richness and customizability go?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          It is if you have twitching fingers because of a medical situation, as is the case with me. Why can't some people just respect that some others don't like it or can't use it?
          "hurr durr respect me for this condition that I didn't mention until now". You're an ass. Respect is to be earned, not demanded. You can't complain about something without specifying a good reason and then open the doors to the guilt train.

Also, how exactly does this affect only middle-clicking but not all clicking? If your condition makes you accidentally middle click, you will accidentally click something else, which I'm sure is more annoying, considering you can disable middle-click paste in KDE. Middle click paste isn't the problem here, it's the device you're using.

EDIT:
          I never mentioned you directly. I made a generalized statement to anyone who disliked middle-click paste, not just you.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 June 2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Changing volume with the scroll wheel worked fine in Windows 7 and 8.1. Did they remove that feature in 10?
            On Windows, any version, you have to click on the volume button before changing the volume with the scroll wheel. On Linux, just hovering the pointer over the button is enough to start using the wheel.

Once you get accustomed with the easy of use on Linux, you get very annoyed having to click to change volume on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              "hurr durr respect me for this condition that I didn't mention until now". You're an ass. Respect is to be earned, not demanded. You can't complain about something without specifying a good reason and then open the doors to the guilt train.

Also, how exactly does this affect only middle-clicking but not all clicking? If your condition makes you accidentally middle click, you will accidentally click something else, which I'm sure is more annoying, considering you can disable middle-click paste in KDE. Middle click paste isn't the problem here, it's the device you're using.

EDIT:
              I never mentioned you directly. I made a generalized statement to anyone who disliked middle-click paste, not just you.
              There are three people here having problems with it, so you could just assume that there is a reasonable explanation for that. I don't think that any of us "dislike" middle-click-paste, it just doesn't work for us, so we want it to be optional. You can trust that all of us thought about using a different device, in fact that is what I did. But I didn't want to. Finding a mouse that I really like was difficult, and more work than I would need to add that option if I knew the source. Providing an option to disable it shouldn't be difficult. Maybe you are defensive about something that doesn't need a defense.

EDIT: Now it is four people. That's a lot, relatively speaking.
              Last edited by indepe; 08 June 2020, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
                There are three people here having problems with it, so you could just assume that there is a reasonable explanation for that. I don't think that any of us "dislike" middle-click-paste, it just doesn't work for us, so we want it to be optional. You can trust that all of us thought about using a different device, in fact that is what I did. But I didn't want to. Finding a mouse that I really like was difficult, and more work than I would need to add that option if I knew the source. Providing an option to disable it shouldn't be difficult. Maybe you are defensive about something that doesn't need a defense.
                To my recollection, it is and has been optional in Klipper for a long while now. I suggested a different device specifically to Vistaus, since apparently he has a disability. For everyone else who doesn't accidentally middle-click, it's just not that hard to not click it; no other device necessary.
                What I'm defensive over is Vistaus' attitude. Look the post of mine he quoted and you won't find it was very hostile, but asking questions.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  To my recollection, it is and has been optional in Klipper for a long while now. I suggested a different device specifically to Vistaus, since apparently he has a disability. For everyone else who doesn't accidentally middle-click, it's just not that hard to not click it; no other device necessary.
                  What I'm defensive over is Vistaus' attitude. Look the post of mine he quoted and you won't find it was very hostile, but asking questions.
                  Hmm. Is that option recognized by QT Creator on KDE? Gnome Tweaks has that option setting, but it is not recognized by QT Creator.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
                    Hmm. Is that option recognized by QT Creator on KDE? Gnome Tweaks has that option setting, but it is not recognized by QT Creator.
                    Not sure. I like middle-click paste so I don't tweak that option.

Comment

The middle click to paste functionality is only really a problem on touchpads with multitouch functionality.
                      I sometimes run into the issue where I want to scroll or zoom, but it pastes something instead.

Which can become a real security hazard if you combine it with the other marvelous feature X11 has (and I hope Wayland does not): copy on select

Comment

Working...
                      X