Firefox 77 Released With Security Fixes, AV1 Image File Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Thinking X will disappear like tomorrow, *that* is wishful. A couple of forum randoms declaring the death of X does not make it reality.
    It's amazing how some people are interpreting things. X is dead from development point of view. It will remain for some time, but it will become less and less significant.

So what workarounds do you speak of?
    Dozens of workarounds to make X less insecure, more performant and so on. If you're asking such question it's clear you don't have a clue. I wonder why:

I am enjoying hw accelerated decoding *now*. Not in Firefox yet, only in dedicated media players. But even support in Firefox will take months, not years.
    if:

The dma-buf/EGL interop is exactly the same in X and Wayland.

It seems many people forgot:

https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-de...er/039773.html

(Key quotes: "GLX is a horrible demotivator! 80,000 lines of sheer terror." and "In the past couple of months I've found 120 bugs there, and I'm not close to done." ) I think it's mostly accurate (there's a couple minor details to quibble with, and there's a bit about 10-15 minutes in everyone can fast forward through). His point about today's world being much different than when X was created, and nearly 30 year old hand written binary protocol parsing code not being the best idea, is much like the rationale for xcb's creation, but we've not been effective at getting transitioned to it.
    Keep repeating your mantra how X is cool. If someone thinks developers will touch this instead of Wayland they're insane.
    Last edited by Volta; 04 June 2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I am enjoying hw accelerated decoding *now*. Not in Firefox yet, only in dedicated media players. But even support in Firefox will take months, not years.
      You're enjoying it *now* on dedicated media players not running Firefox, well that's relevant in a Firefox thread.... Months huh? And who exactly is working on that you say?

Thinking X will disappear like tomorrow, *that* is wishful. A couple of forum randoms declaring the death of X does not make it reality.
      Couple of forum randoms declaring it's still alive does not make it reality.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
        Months huh? And who exactly is working on that you say?
        Here's where they're working on it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1640048

Originally posted by arokh View Post
        Couple of forum randoms declaring it's still alive does not make it reality.
        All the users still using X today make it a reality. Firefox devs spending time to improve the X code in their browser as I've linked above make it a reality.

Volta You seem to have missed that dma-buf/EGL interop is exactly that, EGL interop, while Firefox's X code currently uses GLX. That's the reason Firefox doesn't have hw decode in X yet while it's there for Wayland. It's a Firefox shortcoming, one that's currently being remedied, not a technical X hurdle.

Comment

Mozilla should speed up the startup time of Firefox with Nvme SSD drives and should try to use high queue depths. Microsoft is planning to make the DiretStorage API also available on PC. But I guess this would need much code to be rewritten.

Comment

All the users still using X today make it a reality.
            In open source, users aren't important. Developers are the only thing that matters.

It's true that usually devs show up when users do, but it's not always the case and it's been pretty obvious for the past few years that it's no longer the case for X.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              In open source, users aren't important. Developers are the only thing that matters.
              Why are Firefox devs improving their X code then? It's because they have users on that platform and want to serve those users.

Comment

Why are Firefox devs improving their X code then? It's because they have users on that platform and want to serve those users.
                They're improving Firefox, though, not X itself. That's all I was getting at. And you can already see they view it as lower priority than Wayland in spite of the fact that X still has way more users.

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post

Firefox doesn't have any runtime python dependency. It's only the build system and the testing infrastructure that's in the final stages of being made fully python3-compatible.
                  thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X