Chrome Is Reaching The Point Of Good X11 + Wayland Support In Same Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Is Reaching The Point Of Good X11 + Wayland Support In Same Build

Phoronix: Chrome Is Reaching The Point Of Good X11 + Wayland Support In Same Build

Google's Chrome/Chromium web browser is finally reaching the stage where having both the X11 support and Ozone abstraction layer for Wayland can be enabled concurrently in the same build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm surprised it has taken so long, but hey, progress is progress.

Comment

Perhaps a bit OT: Includes this actually vaapi hw acceleration in X11? FF still doesn't support vaapi in X, yet this would be nice to have. On my older hardware, 720p-videos do just stutter in FF and the CPU runs at 100%, while the same videos run in VLC (with vaapi-support) just fine and with about 25% CPU-ressources.

Comment

Firefox have been able to do for a long time. With just using the GDK_BACKEND=wayland environment variable.

Comment

It is about time.... I stopped using Chromium since i prefer Firefox's Wayland support. X11 should have been a thing of the past by now. Last thing we need is for WINE to support Wayland and then we can lay X11 to rest.

Comment

Why not just fix Ozone X11?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Firefox have been able to do for a long time. With just using the GDK_BACKEND=wayland environment variable.
              To be fair to Chrome devs that support in FF seemed to be necessary to work out all the bugs. I ran MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 on Firefox 74 & 75, and while it mostly worked, there were weird behaviors with toolbars, stuck mouse pointers, etc. Only just recently with FF 76 have I been happy to just enable it and have the experience be seamless.

Wayland via Gnome 3.36 has been a win on my amdgpu systems with smoother video playback, more balanced system load, etc. It was almost shocking how bad the experience was with an nvidia card by contrast (where xwayland apps are unaccelerated).

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                It is about time.... I stopped using Chromium since i prefer Firefox's Wayland support. X11 should have been a thing of the past by now. Last thing we need is for WINE to support Wayland and then we can lay X11 to rest.
                Except for enterprise deployments where multi-session is necessary.
                https://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq....eading_toc_j_8

Oh and the tools that are used to make your WINE games. I doubt UE4Editor or Maya is switching over any time soon.

Whether we use Xwayland, Xenocara, Xorg, Xquartz... doesn't matter. X11 is here to stay until we can find a proper alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

X11 is here to stay until we can find a proper alternative.
                  As an XWayland only. Till when it's fully ported to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

As an XWayland only. Till when it's fully ported to Wayland.
                    He's talking mostly about enterprise and Wine. And in that regard, he's right that XWayland isn't gonna cut it.

Comment

Working...
                    X