Chrome Is Reaching The Point Of Good X11 + Wayland Support In Same Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

You said Wayland has been obsoleted? You're out of your mind. Tell this to ex-X developers working currently on Wayland and related stack.
    Admittedly it was awkward wording, however if you read it again you you will see that I was saying that X11 will exist even after Wayland has been obsoleted. Yes, one day something newer and trendier than Wayland will come along. This might also happen for X11 too one day. Perhaps X12?

Yes, because nobody wanted to touch this shit. It's being obsoleted, because it's bloated insecure mess.
    It is probably precisely that X11 (or a network aware GUI protocol) is very complex that it will unlikely to be replaced by something better for a long time. Remember Wayland and X11 are quite different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

He's talking mostly about enterprise and Wine. And in that regard, he's right that XWayland isn't gonna cut it.
      Why wouldn't Xwayland cut it for Wine? Seems to work fine AFAICT.

I expect enterprise remote session support to be available with Wayland pretty soon. Meanwhile, Xwayland works as well as any X server for individual remote applications.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

This. Wayland in GNOME is very, very stable, and fast. Today. You don't need to wait anymore, just install the latest GNOME on non-Nvidia hardware and enjoy the future, today. There may be a few niche issues here and there, but issues exist still on X11 too, so complaining about it is hypocritical. It is not like X11 is problem-free.
        I'm on the latest Gnome, non-Nvidia hardware and Wayland is not stable yet and has too many issues. On 2 very different distros.
        I've been using Linux for 15 years, I can solve, work around or cope with issues. I have a tolerance that most normal users won't have, and there's little doubt it's not ready. They'll just see that it doesn't work properly. Plain simple. Whatever the few cult members say here, it isn't.

Keep burying your head in the sand. I don't know why Fedora/Gnome/Wayland people have a specific knack for being ostriches. It's like you're blindfolded, or you've been robbed of any critical thinking. Melted brain. It's just so obvious that, there might be some attempt at influencing things there. Wouldn't be surprised.

Is it the future? Absolutely. I'm not even doubting that. Is it the present? Not quite yet. Whatever false ideas some zealots with a trivial workflow are spreading.

Comment

Why not? As explained in the FAQ in will be possible without X.
          Have you put your reading glasses on? We were talking about the here and now. And right now, it's not gonna cut it as Wine has yet to even reach alpha state on Wayland (and is there any porting work going on at all?).

Comment

That could be the cause. I had worse experience with Ubuntu and Wayland.
            So first you're saying that Wayland is so much better than X, but now you're saying that it's only better on a particular distro (or maybe a few)? You Wayland fanboys make me laugh.

Oh, and before you shoot back: I don't really like X, so I'm not an X fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
              Unless someone addresses the elephant in the room of NVIDIA running on Wayland (either via EGLStreams or Noveau), Wayland is never going to displace X11.

There are other ones like Wine.
              Nobody cares about nvidia. Steam games via Proton run fine under Wayland, so what problems are with Wine? Vistaus

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So first you're saying that Wayland is so much better than X, but now you're saying that it's only better on a particular distro (or maybe a few)? You Wayland fanboys make me laugh.
                No, genius. The point was Ubuntu is broken mess and their Wayland support is worse than Fedora (maybe due to older stack).

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Admittedly it was awkward wording, however if you read it again you you will see that I was saying that X11 will exist even after Wayland has been obsoleted.
                  Exactly! Just because one DE and one WM, and in the future more DE's and WM's, run fine on Wayland doesn't mean the older X11 won't be around anymore. That's like someone in 1899 saying diesel cars are obsolete just because they built electric cars in 1899. But in reality, diesel cars have been around for more than a century after the first electric cars were built. And they're still around despite electric cars making a re-appearance in our cities. X11 is just like diesel cars.

Comment

No, genius. The point was Ubuntu is broken mess and their Wayland support is worse than Fedora (maybe due to older stack).
                    So far, X11 always works, even when the stack is less than optimal. Again: I don't really like X, so I know it's not perfect, but it does have an advantage over Wayland in that regard if Wayland truly needs a perfect stack to even remotely work.

Comment

Nobody cares about nvidia.Vistaus
                      Except for the vast majority of gamers who use NVIDIA because AMD has historically sucked in comparison (both hardware wise, especially for high end and driver wise when it comes to games).

Try again and get yourself outside of your bubble. Plenty of Linux people use NVIDIA, especially in professional environemnts (CUDA/HPC)

Comment

Working...
                      X