No announcement yet.

Chrome Is Reaching The Point Of Good X11 + Wayland Support In Same Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mez' - "I admit that video playing in the browser is a bit smoother on Wayland though. I can read some 1080p videos on my old laptop (radeon/r600g), while it breaks under X11." I forget sometimes how good those of us with Intel graphics on Buster-based distros with xorg have it. I feel your pain. Years ago I too used to fight with discrete cards and unstable, experimental graphics systems. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Very funny and true comments by Dedoimedo in his scathing review of F32 recently: "It's been a while since Wayland was conceived, and it's still not up to the task. Like most technologies designed in the "agile" era, it's a rolling ball of good enough, and it probably won't ever be finished in any sort of coherent, product-complete way. I am totally dismayed that buggy code is allowed into user-facing software. But then, this trend is plaguing the entire software industry, and it's getting worse and worse by the day."
      That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and shows the author has zero understanding of what Wayland is and shouldn't be reviewing distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
        FWIW, I think Wayland is the future. It's also the present to some extent.
        For me, it has been the present for nearly two years...

Comment

Very funny and true comments by Dedoimedo in his scathing review of F32 recently: "It's been a while since Wayland was conceived, and it's still not up to the task. Like most technologies designed in the "agile" era, it's a rolling ball of good enough, and it probably won't ever be finished in any sort of coherent, product-complete way. I am totally dismayed that buggy code is allowed into user-facing software. But then, this trend is plaguing the entire open-source software industry, and it's getting worse and worse by the day."
          Fixed.

Comment

Probably the best news of the year.
            User will also be able to take benefit from buffer. Finally!!!
            Last edited by Azrael5; 31 May 2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Mez' - "I admit that video playing in the browser is a bit smoother on Wayland though. I can read some 1080p videos on my old laptop (radeon/r600g), while it breaks under X11." I forget sometimes how good those of us with Intel graphics on Buster-based distros with xorg have it. I feel your pain. Years ago I too used to fight with discrete cards and unstable, experimental graphics systems. Good luck to you.
              Wayland is much better than X11, if it is well implemented. Much more better.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

This. Wayland in GNOME is very, very stable, and fast. Today. You don't need to wait anymore, just install the latest GNOME on non-Nvidia hardware and enjoy the future, today. There may be a few niche issues here and there, but issues exist still on X11 too, so complaining about it is hypocritical. It is not like X11 is problem-free.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
                  Same.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
                    Perhaps a bit OT: Includes this actually vaapi hw acceleration in X11? FF still doesn't support vaapi in X, yet this would be nice to have. On my older hardware, 720p-videos do just stutter in FF and the CPU runs at 100%, while the same videos run in VLC (with vaapi-support) just fine and with about 25% CPU-ressources.
                    The Chromium team is pretty clear it has no interest in supporting vaapi hw acceleration on linux; so they won't accept the patches without a guarantee that support comes with it. However, it's easy to get builds that do support it, and Ubuntu is adding it back to the Chromium snap (or maybe it is already in the main snap channel now).
                    I don't know what the story is with Wayland. Here, Firefox is ok with it on Linux.

Comment

Unless someone addresses the elephant in the room of NVIDIA running on Wayland (either via EGLStreams or Noveau), Wayland is never going to displace X11.

There are other ones like Wine.

Comment

Working...
                      X