Two More Projects Join KWinFT Fork Of KDE KWin, Beta Milestone Reached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two More Projects Join KWinFT Fork Of KDE KWin, Beta Milestone Reached

Phoronix: Two More Projects Join KWinFT Fork Of KDE KWin, Beta Milestone Reached

Announced over one month ago was KWinFT as a fork of KDE's KWin with an emphasis on improving the Wayland support and better embracing modern technologies. A beta of KWinFT is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Someone should troll them by forking it and have it running off of Mir.

Comment

>Someone should troll them by forking it and have it running off of Mir.

>Moving forward, KWinFT will be working on building a modern C++ framework for Wayland compositor creation.

I mean, that would be a fitting description on Mir

But I gues, unless it's KMir created by Kanonical I guess the KDE guess kant be kared.

Comment

I followed in deep into that thread of MRs and there is very clearly pooh-pooh'ing going on. It really looks like putting someone in their place, and hiding behind "policies" to prevent any discussion.

Saying not divesting from QT libs to interface with Wayland, when it's the reason the clipboard and gestures are working so badly in wayland kde right now.
        How is not dropping a complex, and out of your control, dependency for a lightweight one that allows you to fix things such a terrible idea?

This kind of thing directly affects QC because when your ability to even fix a "trivial" issue is hampered by a dependency that you have virtually no control ever... Feels like the bad old days to me.

Comment

The whole QT should be dropped all together if they can't be persuaded to fix their minds.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It's great to see KwinFT advancing and I'm grateful for this approach. Roman did many important contributions and he has many ideas that are worth to be developed. I will give KwinFT a try in the next days.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
              Saying not divesting from QT libs to interface with Wayland, when it's the reason the clipboard and gestures are working so badly in wayland kde right now.
              I created a ticket for what's wrong with the clipboard behavior on Plasma Wayland months ago and nothing happened with it.

Comment

Godspeed, Roman. We've been screwed by QtWayland long enough.

Comment

I have recently been favoring using C++17 instead of going the Qt way more and more, so i kinda get where this team is coming from.

In my opinion Qt5+ focused way too much on JS and let the C++ part go outdated to the point it can be quite bothersome, i get it, closed source businesses probably favor dumb JS GUI design instead of proper performing code since JS devs are way cheaper and easier to replace but for everyone else is a bummer.

I hope they fix their ways for Qt6 but not holding my breath either

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    KDisplay as a fork of KSCreen.

Comment

Working...
                    X