Two More Projects Join KWinFT Fork Of KDE KWin, Beta Milestone Reached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    cmakeshift You are right that QtWayland is the problem. Rage forking and fragmentation is not an ideal solution. This anti-Qt initiative is of course the right thing to do anyway. KDE should join.
    I haven't heard a piece of propaganda that is more explicit than this one.

You should stop.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      tildearrow It’s an opinion, not propaganda. Sorry but you don’t get to police opinions. Don’t like this ongoing de-cute effort? Too bad, you can’t stop it.
      It looks like anything but an opinion. You're just trying to outsmart the world here in an attempt to get your corrupt disaster in to dominate and destroy.

There isn't any Qt destroying effort here, except for your minuscule crusade. No. The eventual Kt (or whatever comes) is NOT an attempt to destroy Qt.

It's getting old already. You just want to smile looking at the flames that destroy this territory.

...no I am not allowing you to derail this thread.

Comment

Wow, reading through the linked patch comments he had in his blog really doesn't give a good impression at all.

Sure, the time to first real review took a while, until after he'd pushed an updated version in fact - apparently with changes that were requested from an earlier patch attempt from him.
        But after that, he goes on to ignore questions, complain that other people ignored his questions, shun valid suggestions, demand his massive patch to be merged three days before their next release cycle, and then finally going on to put words into other people's mouths, and justifying his forking of unrelated projects with them as he abandons the review when the planned release went on without his large changeset.

I'm sure there's some undertones that I'm missing from not being part of the KDE developers, but what's shown to the public there really doesn't make me feel like supporting the fork.
        I was really hopeful for some of the things that KWinFT was doing too, but with the resentment showed it really doesn't sound like any improvements will be helped to find their way back. In fact it almost sounds like the direct opposite is the goal, from how quickly - and radically - the code's set to be diverged from upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

NVidia is the only one that can support their cards, since they are closed source.
          Nvidia also has the majority of the marketshare and is the only serious GPU maker. If wayland continues to ignore NVIDIA for political reasons it will remain and unusable joke

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post
            Wow, reading through the linked patch comments he had in his blog really doesn't give a good impression at all.

Sure, the time to first real review took a while, until after he'd pushed an updated version in fact - apparently with changes that were requested from an earlier patch attempt from him.
            But after that, he goes on to ignore questions, complain that other people ignored his questions, shun valid suggestions, demand his massive patch to be merged three days before their next release cycle, and then finally going on to put words into other people's mouths, and justifying his forking of unrelated projects with them as he abandons the review when the planned release went on without his large changeset.

I'm sure there's some undertones that I'm missing from not being part of the KDE developers, but what's shown to the public there really doesn't make me feel like supporting the fork.
            Your description is a bit one-sided, he needed these changes in the release to advance his projects and didn't want to get stalled. Sure it was a big change but he promised to fix any bugs during the beta period.

It is sad to see that the personal friction seems to hinder efforts of better integrating his changes back into KDE upstream. But it seems Roman is now determined to advance his fork with a more ambitious agenda than he could have done upstream. And I welcome that as long as it increases the chance of great improvements but I'd like to enjoy his work on other distros, too. This will take a lot of effort and the chances for seeing KWinFT available on other big distribitions by default seem to be slim right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

Nvidia also has the majority of the marketshare and is the only serious GPU maker. If wayland continues to ignore NVIDIA for political reasons it will remain and unusable joke
              Currently nvidia is unusable joke. Wayland runs fine on AMD and Intel. Nvidia is insecure, unstable mess. Especially on Windows and laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

1.) Wayland works with nVidia because Wayland have nothing to do with render
                2.) Was nVidia's decision to go against the current and try to force EGLStream that even tho is some sort of standard no one have ever used it on x86.
                3.) So far EGLStream have shown no advantage in any scenario and it seems nVidia implementation of it is unstable AF
                4.) Compositor need to go out of their way and implement EGLStreams to allow nVidia to work (so your beef is with gnome/kwin/i3,etc.)
                5.) XWayland don't support EGLStreams (jajajaja classic nVidia catch 22) at all, so only native wayland games for you.

I honestly don't care if they have 99% of the market share and it seems that no one with coding skills high enough to pull it off thinks otherwise, so stop throwing random market share numbers and go pressure nVidia to fix it.

Answer to the classic "OMG then the linux desktop will never .... blah blah", if i wanted an unstable and unsecure desktop that support all the market sharezzzz i would have stay on windows, next time around when you upgrade your hardware go AMD baby

Comment

I never understood why the KWin compositor depended on Qt Wayland for anything. Qt Wayland should only be used for client apps, not for the compositor. KWIn compositor should just be a Wayland compositor that works with any Wayland client (with some optional extras on top for KDE applications).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    From my understanding this will not help NVIDIA users and Wayland atm is exclusively a AMD and Intel supporting thing. Is that correct?
                    I have tried Wayland on my NVIDIA card but the control panel didn't work and the desktop was sort of messed a bit.
                    You've got that wrong, NVIDIA refused to support Wayland properly and conducted some bullshit political manuevers around that. If you want good Wayland support, pressure NVIDIA and tell them it's important to you. Otherwise just use a well supported GPU like Intel and be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Currently nvidia is unusable joke. Wayland runs fine on AMD and Intel. Nvidia is insecure, unstable mess. Especially on Windows and laptops.
                      Nvidia runs just fine on X. Its wayland that doesnt run on the majority of consumer and enterprise GPUs. therefore wayland is a joke. But yeah, stick to your political puriatnism if it makes you feel better

Comment

Working...
                      X