No announcement yet.

Ardour 6.0 Digital Audio Workstation Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running Ardour on a HiDPI display under Wayland right now. Zero issues. Scaling is fine. Plugins' UIs load alright.

Can't help myself wondering if some of the most vocal people here actually have any hands-on experience with Ardour whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
      I can't help but notice that you know nothing about DAWs
      I can't help but notice that you suppose to know things which you don't actually know.
      As stated in my previous post I don't use Ardour (since several years btw) simply because I *don't* have an use case for it anymore.
      I used to use it to do mastering and studio recordings up to 16 tracks, including 5 separately mixed headphone monitors with several plugins each. Now I don't use it simply because I'm not doing recordings/mastering anymore, not because Ardour suddently became bad.

You want Ardour to run natively on Wayland, but the fact is that audio plugins simply don't. So why bother?
      In fact there's a good many audio plugins that don't even support HiDPI. Deal with it.
      Did you ever hear about the chicken and the egg? I'm sure I won't have to explain this
      Anyway having XWayland plugins is not as bad as having an XWayland DAW.

But the current state of Linux audio is that we don't even have enough plugins to cover all our needs, so if you start bothering devs with GTK3 and HiDPI, that situation isn't going to improve anytime soon.
      I don't know about the current situation, but back in the days I had to rely on wineasio alot.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        I can't help but notice that you suppose to know things which you don't actually know.
        As stated in my previous post I don't use Ardour (since several years btw) simply because I *don't* have an use case for it anymore.
        I used to use it to do mastering and studio recordings up to 16 tracks, including 5 separately mixed headphone monitors with several plugins each. Now I don't use it simply because I'm not doing recordings/mastering anymore, not because Ardour suddently became bad.
        Ok, I've got to admit I've been a bit harsh on this one. It's just that these forums are so full of ignorant trolls that I jumped to conclusions. Sorry for this.

By the way, about the current situation, I don't have to rely on wine in my workflow because I can get a native plugin for every use case, but there are some limitations, and more so when it comes to reverbs (in my humble opinion). For example, you like to have a console EQ, analogue modeled 8-band EQ, mastering EQ, and maybe another digital one for very precise cuts, and as long as they work as intended and sound great that's fine. And on Linux, we've definitely got plenty to chose from: I've got all the OvertoneDSPs, x42, zam and three others from Harrison (and that's without Mixbus' integrated EQ which works great when you know what it's good at).
        But when it comes to reverbs, it's a matter of character and taste and having a wide range to chose from is critical. That's where we're lacking, right now. And I tried to like IRs, but obviously I don't... (matter of taste I guess...)

Comment

omer666 I am not a troll, it's just my opinion, but I was surprised by your and Paul's reaction. We just have a different mindset and trying to solve different issues.

Comment

Working...
          X