Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ardour 6.0 Digital Audio Workstation Released

Phoronix: Ardour 6.0 Digital Audio Workstation Released

Ardour 6.0 is now available as the latest major release of this high-end yet open-source digital audio workstation (DAW) package that runs across all major platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats to the Ardour developers & contributors with this amazing release! And a big thanks for an amazing and free DAW.

Comment

Ardour is such an amazing piece of software, and today it's even better.

I'm definitely going to make use of that midi keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        Ardour is such an amazing piece of software, and today it's even better.

I'm definitely going to make use of that midi keyboard
        Yeah that was my plan too

Comment

And still gtk2...

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
            And still gtk2...
            that won't be changing any time in the foreseeable future. we would gain nothing and waste months (or even years) on porting. and to what? gtk3? gtk4? juce? qt?

our users are too important for us to waste that much time on something with so little payback. we'll continue to work on developing more GUI tech that sits above GDK and generally sidesteps GTK, which we'd have to do for just about any other toolkit too.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulDavis View Post

that won't be changing any time in the foreseeable future. we would gain nothing and waste months (or even years) on porting. and to what? gtk3? gtk4? juce? qt?

our users are too important for us to waste that much time on something with so little payback. we'll continue to work on developing more GUI tech that sits above GDK and generally sidesteps GTK, which we'd have to do for just about any other toolkit too.
              HiDPI,
              Wayland,
              New FileDialog,
              Security and bug fixes,
              It's a really strange question. Also, as I know, Ardour is using gtk very limited and it means it should be easy to make this migration.
              PS when Linux distributives will drop gtk2 as deprecated?

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post

HiDPI,
                Wayland,
                New FileDialog,
                Security and bug fixes,
                It's a really strange question. Also, as I know, Ardour is using gtk very limited and it means it should be easy to make this migration.
                PS when Linux distributives will drop gtk2 as deprecated?
                HidPI does not require GTK2. Wayland is irrelevant - approximately a zillion X Window applications will continue functioning whether Wayland is in use or not. New file dialog ... do we care? Security? In a program that loads arbitrary 3rd party shared objects and runs them with realtime scheduling and full access to everythng the user can do - I don't think this is a major priority. Distro's deprecating GTK2 .. do we care? We don't support distro builds anyway (they never get it right), so people will just be "forced" to get it from us instead (which we'd prefer).

We still use GTK much more extensively than we would like, and even if we ever reach the promised land, we will still be using it for: menus, treeviews, text input and the file dialog(s).

Comment

Originally posted by PaulDavis View Post

HidPI does not require GTK2. Wayland is irrelevant - approximately a zillion X Window applications will continue functioning whether Wayland is in use or not. New file dialog ... do we care? Security? In a program that loads arbitrary 3rd party shared objects and runs them with realtime scheduling and full access to everythng the user can do - I don't think this is a major priority. Distro's deprecating GTK2 .. do we care? We don't support distro builds anyway (they never get it right), so people will just be "forced" to get it from us instead (which we'd prefer).

We still use GTK much more extensively than we would like, and even if we ever reach the promised land, we will still be using it for: menus, treeviews, text input and the file dialog(s).
                  I don't know who are you and can you talking from all Ardour developers or not. If yes, as user I really frustrated.
                  After all this words I suppose Michael can preapre new article with scream title. )

Comment

I've used to be a long time Ardour user and I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will change your mind about GTK3 and Wayland.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X