Enlightenment 0.24 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
    t.s. I've tried to build few days ago, and had problems building EFL 1.24.0. and 1.24.1 packages:
    src/modules/ecore_imf/meson.build:21:8: ERROR: Problem encountered: Need glib enabled if ibus is enabled

The fix would be probably as simple as enabling glib or disabling ibus. It would be obvious in case of autotools (./configure --help), but I don't know how to obtain parameters from Meson (maybe will look into it in few days, when I'll have more time, but as EFL and enlightenment are in [community] repo, I guess somebody will do it sooner and it will land in [community-testing] in few days)
    Noted. Thanks. I'll try that if I plan to compile manually.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      I'll try yay way. My inet connection speed is so-so (1MBps). It's just tedious to download that much 'data', compile, and then delete it. I prefer binary. Just pacman -S, then done (I'm a lazy guy)
      1mbit... ok... a bit slow - just keep them installed then? don't remove the build deps... unless of course you are really pushing it for disk space too...

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post

1mbit... ok... a bit slow - just keep them installed then? don't remove the build deps... unless of course you are really pushing it for disk space too...
        Yep, need disk space. 250GB ssd, 70% full. Plus when we go rolling release distro like arch, the more installed packages, the 'merrier' when I want to upgrade the packages. Tried yay on VBox. yay need to get about > 100mb plus after install, need another ~100mb, and that surely will need update too (I tend to install what's necessary, and delete package that I seldom use. Keep my system lean). Then efl another ~400++

I think will wait compiled packages from arch. But damn, it's slow..

Comment

Yep, need disk space. 250GB ssd, 70% full. Plus when we go rolling release distro like arch, the more installed packages, the 'merrier' when I want to upgrade the packages. Tried yay on VBox. yay need to get about > 100mb plus after install, need another ~100mb, and that surely will need update too (I tend to install what's necessary, and delete package that I seldom use. Keep my system lean). Then efl another ~400++

I think will wait compiled packages from arch. But damn, it's slow..
          I could script up enough to build both release and -git pkgs and run a repo. i have done so before... it just will take a chunk of my time to get it all oiled up and working...

Here you go. I have gotten the git aur pkgs in a repo with an automated build in a clean arch chroot. I'll update them every now and again

Using curl:

Code:
          curl https://download.enlightenment.org/distros/arch/archlinux/arch/repo.txt -o - | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf
          or using wget:

Code:
          wget https://download.enlightenment.org/distros/arch/archlinux/arch/repo.txt -O - | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf
          and then sync the new repo and install packages for the first time:

Code:
          sudo pacman -Sy && sudo pacman -S enlightenment-git terminology-git rage-git

Comment

I could script up enough to build both release and -git pkgs and run a repo. i have done so before... it just will take a chunk of my time to get it all oiled up and working...

Here you go. I have gotten the git aur pkgs in a repo with an automated build in a clean arch chroot. I'll update them every now and again

Using curl:

Code:
            curl https://download.enlightenment.org/distros/arch/archlinux/arch/repo.txt -o - | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf
            or using wget:

Code:
            wget https://download.enlightenment.org/distros/arch/archlinux/arch/repo.txt -O - | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf
            and then sync the new repo and install packages for the first time:

Code:
            sudo pacman -Sy && sudo pacman -S enlightenment-git terminology-git rage-git
            This is pretty awesome. Hat tip to you, Sir.

Would you be open to suggesting EndeavourOS as a painless way to install Arch Linux and get started with Enlightenment?

EDIT: Just tried in a VM. That's the easiest Arch install I've ever done and the default Xfce installation is quite useful when it comes to apps that complement E.
            Last edited by ermo; 27 May 2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

raster thanks! It really help

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

This is pretty awesome. Hat tip to you, Sir.

Would you be open to suggesting EndeavourOS as a painless way to install Arch Linux and get started with Enlightenment?

EDIT: Just tried in a VM. That's the easiest Arch install I've ever done and the default Xfce installation is quite useful when it comes to apps that complement E.
                Cool. I'll do regular builds. I've added rage and terminology also to the repo the -git versions and release versions too. i'll update releases as they happen. git packages will update whenever i run my rebuild script. it doesn't take too long so you can pick between release versions or xx-git packages as you see fit. also debug packages are built for all too. i will probably expand the things in the package set to build over time.

Comment

raster thanks! It really help
                  no problems

Comment

Cool. I'll do regular builds. I've added rage and terminology also to the repo the -git versions and release versions too. i'll update releases as they happen. git packages will update whenever i run my rebuild script. it doesn't take too long so you can pick between release versions or xx-git packages as you see fit. also debug packages are built for all too. i will probably expand the things in the package set to build over time.
                    FWIW, it seems that the EndeavourOS people support the automated installation of quite a few different DE-setups; perhaps you might have more success offering your expertise there for a dedicated Enlightenment install option? This way you only have to maintain the packages you maintain now?

As I recall, on a fully updated default install, only about 10 new packages were pulled in when installing enlightenment-git, terminology-git and rage-git after the first boot into Xfce.

As an aside, I quite liked the default E design sensibilities, which was an unexpected but welcome surprise; I liked the default scaling options for HiDPI displays of varying density in particular. =)
                    Last edited by ermo; 27 May 2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

FWIW, it seems that the EndeavourOS people support the automated installation of quite a few different DE-setups; perhaps you might have more success offering your expertise there for a dedicated Enlightenment install option? This way you only have to maintain the packages you maintain now?
                      Well I really don't know which way to go - Manjaro seems to have the momentum as an arch derivative that is friendly. Endeavour seems to want to just be arch but with friendlier install/setup. For now I'm going to just put the cat back on the shelf as I have far too much to do and can't be spread too thinly. It's why I push back at "please make packages for me" because it just adds to my workload that is already nuts.

As I recall, on a fully updated default install, only about 10 new packages were pulled in when installing enlightenment-git, terminology-git and rage-git after the first boot into Xfce.
                      E+EFL isn't bloated - while people might think it is just because it LOOKS like it's "full fat" like KDE/GNOME etc. ... it's not. it's low on RAM and even on disk space (though disk space isn't really a priority to save as it's plentiful and cheap compared to RAM).

As an aside, I quite liked the default E design sensibilities, which was an unexpected but welcome surprise; I liked the default scaling options for HiDPI displays of varying density in particular. =)
                      Excellent. Lots of things need to be improved though.. The settings have grown like weeds over the years and need a trimming and tidying up. Power management has grown like weeds too and is ad-hoc and needs some fixing up to be more streamlined. FYI in advanced scaling .. scaling is just a slider to set to any level you like... the basic settings just provide some canned common coarse options... Don't forget to dig into advanced settings at times to see the full gory details...

Comment

Working...
                      X