No announcement yet.

Enlightenment 0.24 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is funny; I was playing around with Enlightenment in a VM last week. Love the terminal, found the rest of it quite slow (which was probably caused by the VM...)

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Also why are they still using that terrible font anti-aliasing scheme in 2020? At least lower the hinting a bit (it is too high that it looks like no anti-alias at all) and use RGB sub-pixel anti-aliasing!
    It hurt my eyes just looking at that picture, not a hyperbole. I had to look away.

It hurt my eyes just looking at that picture, not a hyperbole. I had to look away.
    To me it just looks like really bad JPEG artefacting from too much image compression.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

To me it just looks like really bad JPEG artefacting from too much image compression.
      Take a look at starshipeleven 's link. There you'll find a few more examples, in PNG (so no jpg artifact). Same problem: my eyes hurt when looking at that.

Example:

Comment

Take a look at starshipeleven 's link. There you'll find a few more examples, in PNG (so no jpg artifact). Same problem: my eyes hurt when looking at that.

Example:
        https://distrowatch.com/images/scree...umentation.png
        I generally group image compression artefacts under the label "JPEG"... which I shouldn't do, because it's not exclusive to JPEGs... just they're one of the worst culprits.

Anyhow. I went to the Distrowatch review page. The first image I can't see anything visibly wrong with the text. The second, there does appear to be an issue, mostly on the green text on the blue(-ish) background... where if I scale the image up to 400%, I can see compression artefacts around the text.

Actually, if I do the same with any of the images I can see the same thing. Makes me wonder of the provenance of those screenshots. Were they originally JPEG? No way of knowing.

I tried 400% zoom on some window/webpage PNG screenshots I have saved on my desktop and I couldn't see similar artefacting.

I won't say that the text is pretty - it ain't - I just don't see anything particularly wrong with it. But then, I do spend an inordinate amount of time in some fairly ugly terminals thanks to nVidia and nomodeset et al... so perhaps I'm just inoculated against it?

Comment

I don't see any mention of Wayland. Does anybody know the status of Wayland for Enlightenment for this release? The previous release announcement mentioned "massive" Wayland improvements.

Comment

I remember using it back in the late 1990's on my 233 Mhz AMD K6. It was the coolest slickest WM back then. But, only version 0.24, after all these years? Those poor developers, the work will have to be completed by their children, and their children's children, just to reach v1.0. It's like Stone Henge, or the Great Pyramids. Everyone here will have died of old age by then.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 17 May 2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Nice to see E improving, and I do hope E24 does shape up to be a solid release. Gotta love the eyecandy!

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
                Does anybody know what Enlightenment Windows compatibility is like? I was considering it for a multi-platform project but I ended up using FLTK, because it was clear it worked on both Linux and Windows whereas the information about Enlightenment was pretty shady...
                It's up-to-date thanks to the (beta) C# bindings but a bit cutting edge: https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/windows/ http://www.enlightenment.org/develop...sharp/start.md

Originally posted by wagner17 View Post
                I don't see any mention of Wayland. Does anybody know the status of Wayland for Enlightenment for this release? The previous release announcement mentioned "massive" Wayland improvements.
                They were the first major desktop environment / window manager to support wayland and have only made improvements over time. The "massive" from a few releases ago has to do with the work done for SBCs like the RasPi that lead to a lot of clean ups and speed ups.

Example:
                https://distrowatch.com/images/scree...umentation.png
                I use Terminology with Source Code Pro (Medium) on i3wm specifically because EFL's (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries) font rendering is superior to everything else out there.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  They were the first major desktop environment / window manager to support wayland and have only made improvements over time. The "massive" from a few releases ago has to do with the work done for SBCs like the RasPi that lead to a lot of clean ups and speed ups.
                  Well as history has shown being first is meaningless. I wanted to give Wayland a try on Linux From Scratch after I stumbled on this article but the Gentoo wiki page scared me off with its warning so I went with Sway.

I found the following message on the the Enlightenment mailing list so it looks like E still needs some work. Plus Sway has grown on me now.

Still can't get over X.org possibly going into maintenance mode. It's weird though because reading stuff from the various "window manager" projects it doesn't quite seem that everything in Wayland has been worked out. But I guess Gnome has finished enough work to allow Fedora to use Wayland as the default.

Comment

Originally posted by wagner17 View Post
                    Still can't get over X.org possibly going into maintenance mode. It's weird though because reading stuff from the various "window manager" projects it doesn't quite seem that everything in Wayland has been worked out. But I guess Gnome has finished enough work to allow Fedora to use Wayland as the default.
                    Dunno, whatever MATE uses, I will follow. As of v3, GNOME is dead to me.

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
                      Does anybody know what Enlightenment Windows compatibility is like? I was considering it for a multi-platform project but I ended up using FLTK, because it was clear it worked on both Linux and Windows whereas the information about Enlightenment was pretty shady...
                      The Libraries used by E work on Windows, even if there are some missing features that I try to fix when I have the time

Comment

Working...
                      X