Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.0 Alpha 1 Released With Its Skia + Vulkan Rendering

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.0 Alpha 1 Released With Its Skia + Vulkan Rendering

The first alpha release of LibreOffice 7.0 is out this week for testing ahead of the planned official release of this big open-source office suite update in August...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hardware accerelation is not comes on as a default in KDE while it is for Gnome(you can ignore blacklist in Plasma version).
    So you cannot use LibreOffice's OpenGL rendering in KDE.
    Does skia and vulkan means KDE version will come with default on as well?

Comment

Is there a Phoronix benchmark in the skunkwerks for libreoffice acccelerated testing?

Comment

LibreOffice has had eleven years now, in which to get the one thing that matters--file compatibility with Microsoft Word / Office--absolutely correct. Eleven years!

Is this version absolutely compatible with Microsoft Office now? Can you send your résumé / curriculum vitae--which better look absolutely perfect to that prospective employer offering THE dream job? Or how about that 200-page proposal to land that big contract? You can bet your bottom dollar that your competitors will go to any lengths to make sure the person(s) reading THEIR proposals don't have to slog through any file-incompatibility problems. You might just as well misspell the name of the person you're sending it to...and I've seen that happen, too.

Eleven years.
        "LibreOffice 6.3 - Waiting for a miracle"
        Updated: August 23, 2019
        https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...-3-review.html
        “... This is THE thing [Microsoft Office compatibility]. Yes, we can debate ideology all day long, but at the end of the day, the practical truth is that people need Microsoft Office, so if you want to work with them, your documents must look just right...”
        “... we do have to contend with Microsoft Office and the file format compatibility. This remains a big issue. Unless LibreOffice users can create files and send them knowing those files will open correctly on other people’s machines, it will always remains an underdog. And at some point, the hope will fade...”
        Last edited by danmcgrew; 14 May 2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
          Is this version absolutely compatible with Microsoft Office now? Can you send your résumé / curriculum vitae--which better look absolutely perfect to that prospective employer offering THE dream job? Or how about that 200-page proposal to land that big contract?
          Both of those example cases should be sent as a PDF.

Comment

Why the fuck would you send your CV or proposal as a word document? Obviously you send it as a pdf.

Comment

LibreOffice has had twenty-one years now, in which to get the one thing that matters--file compatibility with Microsoft Word / Office--absolutely correct. Twenty-one years!

Is this version absolutely compatible with Microsoft Office now? Can you send your résumé / curriculum vitae--which better look absolutely perfect to that prospective employer offering THE dream job?
              There is no version that can guarantee absolutely perfect rendering merely because Microsoft Office itself doesn't guarantee that and does in reality change how it renders between versions. There are definitely cases where LibreOffice has better compatibility than Microsoft's latest version. If you want fidelity, you should use a format designed for that such as PDF

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

There is no version that can guarantee absolutely perfect rendering merely because Microsoft Office itself doesn't guarantee that and does in reality change how it renders between versions. There are definitely cases where LibreOffice has better compatibility than Microsoft's latest version. If you want fidelity, you should use a format designed for that such as PDF
                I've seen a lot of specious arguments defending eleven years' worth of wasted energy on TDF's part. but this is the first time I've seen the argument, "LibreOffice doesn't have to be compatible with Microsoft Office, because Microsoft Office isn't compatible with Microsoft Office." Good one!

All indicators point to a glorious career as a politician, or a spokesman for TDF.

Comment

Microsoft office is indeed not always compatible with Microsoft office. As an example: try and open a document created with office 2000 in office 2019. See it break completely. On the other hand, I recently found my master thesis, written under open office 1.1, and opened it in libre office 6.2 - perfect.
                  Actually I regularly have to open then save a Microsoft office document in libre office so that ms office can read it...

Comment

LibreOffice has had eleven years now, in which to get the one thing that matters--file compatibility with Microsoft Word / Office--absolutely correct. Eleven years!

Is this version absolutely compatible with Microsoft Office now? Can you send your résumé / curriculum vitae--which better look absolutely perfect to that prospective employer offering THE dream job? Or how about that 200-page proposal to land that big contract? You can bet your bottom dollar that your competitors will go to any lengths to make sure the person(s) reading THEIR proposals don't have to slog through any file-incompatibility problems. You might just as well misspell the name of the person you're sending it to...and I've seen that happen, too.

Eleven years.
                    "LibreOffice 6.3 - Waiting for a miracle"
                    Updated: August 23, 2019
                    https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...-3-review.html
                    “... This is THE thing [Microsoft Office compatibility]. Yes, we can debate ideology all day long, but at the end of the day, the practical truth is that people need Microsoft Office, so if you want to work with them, your documents must look just right...”
                    “... we do have to contend with Microsoft Office and the file format compatibility. This remains a big issue. Unless LibreOffice users can create files and send them knowing those files will open correctly on other people’s machines, it will always remains an underdog. And at some point, the hope will fade...”
                    mmm don't want to burst your bubble but this is also true for Microsoft office, My brother is an accountant and sometime some n00b send him audit reports on MS Office format and quite often depending the version of the origin office he have to remake all the margins or snap and ask a PDF instead if the file is big(he uses 2016) but ironically 2019(i tried update it for him) sometimes just badly messes the font kerning on versions prior to 2013 but not the margins.

Also is true in some cases this documents look perfect on latest libreoffice but i agree with you sometime mess it up but differently than MS Office, hence my conclusion is docx is a mess that is even a mess for Microsoft themselves

Comment

Working...
                    X