No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 Alpha 1 Released With Its Skia + Vulkan Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am on the "just send PDF" camp. Unless you need to collaborate in making a document with others or you expect the other person to want to modify it, it is better to send PDF. And honestly, others can still modify PDF with the right software, so it is not like you need docx for that. I find PDF much better to pass around, it can be displayed on many more devices without the need for heavy office suites to open it.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      I am on the "just send PDF" camp. Unless you need to collaborate in making a document with others or you expect the other person to want to modify it, it is better to send PDF. And honestly, others can still modify PDF with the right software, so it is not like you need docx for that. I find PDF much better to pass around, it can be displayed on many more devices without the need for heavy office suites to open it.
      When all is said and done, this sentiment--expressed by many, many others--is the philosophy of insular, personal opinion and is the opinion of people who are invested only in the personal use of a word-processing program; and is the opinion of people who have no personal stake in running a business...and if they DO have a personal stake in running a business, they (a) are running a small business, and (b) run the risk of missing qualified candidates.
      This viewpoint totally ignores the one thing which canNOT be ignored : facts.

Now, I am a firm, strict believer in, and user of Linux and UNIX. Yes, I totally dislike and abhor the tactics Microsoft has used, and still does use, to achieve the global dominance they enjoy. But when a small companies say they want résumés sent in Microsoft Word format, you'd better re-assess your emotional investment in the subject, and discard it.

Fact:
      "...In the area of desktop and laptop computers, Microsoft Windows is generally above 70% in most markets and at 77% to 87.8% globally..."
      --the latest information on world-wide operating system usage from Wikipedia.

‭“‬Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.‭”― ‬Aldous Huxley‭

‭“‬Men occasionally stumble over the truth,‭ ‬but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.‭” ‬― Winston S.‭ ‬Churchill

‭“‬The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.‭”--‭― ‬Flannery O'Connor

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Well defined OOXML aka 2nd ISO standard....
        "During standardization within Ecma the specification grew to approximately 6,000 pages."
        I don't know if I could keep that in my head when coding a reader/viewer.
        Yeah, I know. Last I checked OOXML standard was 10x longer than ODF.
        And let's not forget the shoddy practice from Microsoft getting a second standard for the same thing through ISO.

For those not in the know:
        The page you have requested could not be found on FSFE's web server. Please check the URI for possible errors....

Sept. 2 is the deadline for ISO member countries to vote on Microsoft's Office OpenXML -- the result will determine if it's approved as an international standard. Name calling, finger pointing and muckraking have sparked a debate over current standards-approval procedures and how they're affected by corporate influence. All this excitement over office docs?

Comment

Working...
        X