X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by Citan View Post
    Well, maybe we were actually talking about different things, but when I want to get a right-click for "new" or "non-related to existing file" contextual menu, it's a plain chore to find a space that won't be associated with existing file or directory.

[snip]

Keyboard shortcuts existing are a requirement for a good UX, not a replacement for crappy UI.
    Here's another problem: the mouse scroll-wheel

Detailed view: Scroll down is scroll down
    Tiled or Icon view: Scroll down is scroll down
    Compact view: Scroll down is scroll right?

Leave a comment:

• Citan
    replied
    Originally posted by reba View Post

I understand neither of you two.

Everything in this windw, which is not blue but has the white backgorund color, can be clicked to open the context menu:

Just don't click on a file (which would open the file's actions) but click where there's no file (so it opens the context options for this folder, which is also, "Create New >" to create a folder of file, which is what I think you're looking for)

Honestly I am not sure I understand what your actual problem seems to be?
    Well, maybe we were actually talking about different things, but when I want to get a right-click for "new" or "non-related to existing file" contextual menu, it's a plain chore to find a space that won't be associated with existing file or directory.
    Most common use-case being a right-click somewhere to paste content from somewhere else, or creating a new file/directory.

With time, I more or less got used to it, but it drove my parents insane in every file explorer that had that same asinine idea.
    It's extremely counter-intuitive compared to file explorers in which you have enough space between files that you can right-click in between them and get the proper context.
    F10
    F4 (in window) / Shift+F4 (new window)

You'll have to reach for the keyboard anyways to enter the new directory's name / the commands.
    Irrelevant answer.
    First, not everyone likes/learns keyboard shortcut.
    Second, not every user has a full-fledged keyboard with dedicated Fn keys (*strongly eyeballing laptops*).
    Third, f10 is very impractical when you have one hand already on the mouse to manipulate cursor and the other hand attentively staying on the left because you're in copy/paste operations (including in filenames).

Keyboard shortcuts existing are a requirement for a good UX, not a replacement for crappy UI.
    Last edited by Citan; 17 May 2020, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Detailed view is superior unless looking for images, in which case, tiled or large icons are better.

Also, this is hilarious, I was clearly being hyperbolic and someone blocks me, lol

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied

Exactly, it's a very compact view with untruncated information.
    The Detailed list is too long and involves too much scrolling/paging in my usual workflow for my taste.
    Of course I switch views when the need arises (Tiles when sorting images, Detailed when more information is needed at a glance)
    Not entirely un-truncated. Most Compact views will ellipsize if you have filename lengths that vary too wildly. (eg. One 200-character filename every column or two among a bunch of filenames with lengths below 50 characters long.)

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I used to use it before I switched to Detailed. It gives you increased information density with less willingness to ellipsize filenames.
    Exactly, it's a very compact view with untruncated information.
    The Detailed list is too long and involves too much scrolling/paging in my usual workflow for my taste.
    Of course I switch views when the need arises (Tiles when sorting images, Detailed when more information is needed at a glance)

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

What sick and twisted person uses that view? Detailed or Tiled are the only logical lists
    As you cannot adhere to a minimal cultural standard of communications, I added you to my ignore list. Good bye.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied

What sick and twisted person uses that view? Detailed or Tiled are the only logical lists
    I used to use it before I switched to Detailed. It gives you increased information density with less willingness to ellipsize filenames.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied

Everything in this windw, which is not blue but has the white backgorund color, can be clicked to open the context menu:

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by Citan View Post
    I'll +10 that. Scratch that, +1000.
    WHoever decided the current behaviour was ergonomically acceptable forgot to put brain on that day...

Just don't click on a file (which would open the file's actions) but click where there's no file (so it opens the context options for this folder, which is also, "Create New >" to create a folder of file, which is what I think you're looking for)

Leave a comment:

• Citan
    replied
    I've got a pet peeve with both Nautilus and Dolphin: LEAVE A SPACE INBETWEEN THINGS SO I CAN RIGHT CLICK AND CREATE A FOLDER/FILE OR OPEN A TERMINAL WINDOW AT THAT LOCATION

It's so annoying.
    I'll +10 that. Scratch that, +1000.
    WHoever decided the current behaviour was ergonomically acceptable forgot to put brain on that day...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X