PipeWire Gets A Session Manager With WirePlumber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    And yet all those people that hated on PulseAudio didn't put any effort into a replacement.

Or somehow think ALSA is a sound server.
    Even if it isn't a "sound server" it's close enough for their usecase.

Same argument as with systemd vs anything else. They don't need more than very basic functionality.

Comment

Red Hat bankrolling Collabora has done more damage to the Linux desktop than M$ and Apple combined (well obviously partly bc the latter duo isn't too concerned about it at all) basically turning it into a sharply-divided, vertically integrated dysfunctional corporate-only pretentious mind-farting ios sporting soy-boy designers dream unusable by human beings

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
        Red Hat bankrolling Collabora has done more damage to the Linux desktop than M$ and Apple combined (well obviously partly bc the latter duo isn't too concerned about it at all) basically turning it into a sharply-divided, vertically integrated dysfunctional corporate-only pretentious mind-farting ios sporting soy-boy designers dream unusable by human beings
        tl; dr: nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
          Does anyone need a sound server?
          It's for more advanced usecases, a server is overall smarter and able to deal seamlessly with more devices appearing and disappearing dynamically without any previous configuration, while with ALSA I always had to go and change stuff manually.

If we are talking about pro audio and mixing multiple inputs (or working with multiple outputs), then Alsa just can't cut it and you need a decent low-latency sound server like Jack.

Eventually PipeWire will take over and unify Pulse and Jack usecases under a single sound server.

If I play multiple audio file I hear them all in the same time.
          Contrary to popular opinion back in the day, mixing multiple streams wasn't the main selling point of Pulse. Alsa got a "dmix" plugin ages ago to do that https://alsa.opensrc.org/Dmix can mix together multiple streams.

As stated in the plugin, this mixing adds latency and degrades a bit the sound quality, similarly to what Pulseaudio also does to achieve the same effect. So, people that claim only Pulse does this lag and sound degradation are bullshitting. Unsurprisingly.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            tl; dr: nonsense
            you got the gist then.

Comment

Have you ever thought to write a fantasy story? You have the talent.
              As a hard-ish sci-fi kind of guy, I take that as a grave insult.

Comment

May be QasMixer, QasConfig and QasHctl is all someone can need.
                640k of memory ought to be enough for anybody

Comment

And I don't understand why any of my posts have to pass from you first. I'm wayting...
                  You're putting just plain wrong stuff into any discussion of any modern solution, all the time. This is really annoying and kills parts of the fun on all debates, for all people involved. If sometimes you would put in some factical right things, I wouldn't mind, but I never saw that happen. You're one of the easily worst commenters here, and I think you should know that.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    what are you trying to say? pipewire will magically instantly get full implementation of pulseaudio interface or full implementation of alsa interface as implemented by pulseaudio?
                    I'm saying that the pain encountered on the switch to PulseAudio was mostly fixed by patching either ALSA or the software, so switching to PipeWire won't undo those changes, making it easier to reach parity.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                      Can you do better then?

Comment

Working...
                      X