Qt 5.15 Hits Release Candidate In Hopes Of Shipping Later This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.15 Hits Release Candidate In Hopes Of Shipping Later This Month

Phoronix: Qt 5.15 Hits Release Candidate In Hopes Of Shipping Later This Month

Qt 5.15 is aiming to ship in approximately two weeks time while the first release candidate was issued today as one of the last opportunities for testing this forthcoming release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, but here on Kubuntu we are stuck with a pretty old version.
    I'm sure it will take ages until we see KDE Plasma compiled with this version.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      If you don't mind sticking with Ubuntu LTS, Neon carries up to date Qt (and KDE on top of that, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If you don't mind sticking with Ubuntu LTS, Neon carries up to date Qt (and KDE on top of that, of course).
        I like that Kubuntu comes with LibreOffice and other programs by default, I don't want to waste time installing them myself one by one.
        Also I have some badly designed software like AMD ROCm, that refuses to install on KDE Neon because it sees Neon instead of Ubuntu somewhere.
        I wish there was a possibility to use KDE sources that Neon uses, but on normal Kubuntu, so I can keep everything else as it is.

Comment

Qt 6.0 that in turn will hopefully ship before the end of the calendar year
          Which calendar year are we talking about? Qt is notorious for delays from the scheduled release dates, so while a target date does provide focus, I don't think anyone truly believes that Qt 6, which has some very big enhancements scheduled to be included, will ship the full GA release by end of this year.

Comment

I like that Kubuntu comes with LibreOffice and other programs by default, I don't want to waste time installing them myself one by one.
            Also I have some badly designed software like AMD ROCm, that refuses to install on KDE Neon because it sees Neon instead of Ubuntu somewhere.
            I wish there was a possibility to use KDE sources that Neon uses, but on normal Kubuntu, so I can keep everything else as it is.
            Perhaps at some point in the install process it is parsing at /etc/os-release. I don't know. I'm just guessing. But that's something you can try: swap in your Kubuntu /etc/os-release, and try to install it (then swap it out again). Either way, presumably you should be filing a bug report against the software you're having trouble installing. If the developers don't know about it, they won't fix it.

Comment

If you don't mind, you can keep a text file with all programs you need and then pipe it with apt:
              Code:
              sudo apt install < my_apps.txt

Comment

Then maybe OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is more up your alley? But I have no idea how ROCm supports that.
                I've been in your shoes and went Kubuntu->Neon->Arch. And it's still not a total win, stepping outside the deb/rpm land has some consequences. But those are the most common ways to get up to date Qt and KDE at the same time.

Comment

There is always Debian Sid.

Comment

In https://kde.org/plasma-desktop anyone can see that the latest KDE Plasma version is 5.18, and
                    Kubuntu 20.04 ships with KDE Plasma 5.18. About Kubuntu 19.10, in https://launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-ppa...=750&start=675 anyone can see that in the backports the Plasma version is 5.18.3. Kubuntu has also some advantages like coming preinstalled in some computers, having paid support available, a huge quantity of software available, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X