Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 76 Released With WebRender Improvements, Better Security

Phoronix: Firefox 76 Released With WebRender Improvements, Better Security

Firefox 76.0 is out today as the newest feature release to Mozilla's web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any progress on support hardware video decoding on X?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      Don't worry, birdie is making use of his extensive knowledge in display servers to help implement this.

The Wayland part is done and, since according to him X is superior, he'll show us the way - patches coming very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        use brave browser, is working vaapi with h264

Comment

I'm not even sure why video hardware acceleration has anything to do with the display server. I mean, sure, the display server has to present the result, but why does it care where and how the result comes from?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I'm not even sure why video hardware acceleration has anything to do with the display server. I mean, sure, the display server has to present the result, but why does it care where and how the result comes from?
            nothing to do but some ppl here said there s impossible to make it working in X

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

nothing to do but some ppl here said there s impossible to make it working in X
              It's about making use of dma-buf, which is more easily implemented on Wayland, apparently. (Not an expert at all.)

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

It's about making use of dma-buf, which is more easily implemented on Wayland, apparently. (Not an expert at all.)
                it was not me. Chromium have vaapi video for some time using X but some ppl come and said that as escuse for firefox not making this working with X, if they won't to enable it with X is their problem not mine

Comment

hardware decoding under X is not impossible, but it is no use because the composing is not done by the display driver, so the decoded image has to be copied from the GPU back to X and then back to the GPU. To fix this, Firefox would need to change a lot of things. They had to change things to work with wayland anyway, and they designed it so that effective hardware decoding was relatively easy; more like a sideeffect. But they won't rewrite the X code just to enable hardware decoding. And "they" is largely people funded by RedHat, who are really clear that Wayland is the future. And now, with this, apparently the future is getting a lot closer. Now the linux desktop has a mainstream dpi-adapting hardware-decoding browser.

Comment

Wayland serves as a "minimum requirement" label that you can found on lots of boxed software, while Xorg can even run with a very buggy GPU stack.

Comment

Working...
                    X