Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36.2 Released With Restoring TLS 1.0/1.1, Crash Fixes, Other Stable Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.36.2 Released With Restoring TLS 1.0/1.1, Crash Fixes, Other Stable Updates

Phoronix: GNOME 3.36.2 Released With Restoring TLS 1.0/1.1, Crash Fixes, Other Stable Updates

GNOME 3.36.2 is now available as the latest stable GNOME desktop environment update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

re-enabled TLS 1.0/1.1 protocol support as a result of the COVID-19 situation.
    Can someone explain what the "situation" is here?

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
      It appears to be that certain critical government websites in this world are still using those and so that's how its tied to Coronavirus because virus info to help save lives > the old tls protocol at this point.
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1873777

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
        A number of vendors targeted removal of TLS 1.0/1.1 (generally agreed to be insecure) in early 2020. However, that also presumed everyone would be able to get their act together and remove TLS 1.0/1.1 requirements on servers (i.e. upgrade to something secure). Gnome decided to undo the removal because of the way that Covid-19 has delayed staff from being able to respond to server upgrades (including, most notoriously, a number of elementary/high school school districts, not always known for technical depth, being asked to prioritize remote learning over upgrading their infrastructure). Arguably Gnome did the right thing here.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

A number of vendors targeted removal of TLS 1.0/1.1 (generally agreed to be insecure) in early 2020. However, that also presumed everyone would be able to get their act together and remove TLS 1.0/1.1 requirements on servers (i.e. upgrade to something secure). Gnome decided to undo the removal because of the way that Covid-19 has delayed staff from being able to respond to server upgrades (including, most notoriously, a number of elementary/high school school districts, not always known for technical depth, being asked to prioritize remote learning over upgrading their infrastructure). Arguably Gnome did the right thing here.
          I have to believe that computer systems issues are a minor headache compared to trying to do remote learning for a bunch of high schoolers. On the flips side we really need to stop people from using Covid as an excuse. I really would hope that there is a crash program this summer to get these schools up to date.

Comment

Thinking of maybe giving Gnome another try in Pop_OS 20 with their tiling window manager extension... must admit over the last couple of years I have hated most aspects of Gnome but maybe its time to give it another go.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              Thinking of maybe giving Gnome another try in Pop_OS 20 with their tiling window manager extension... must admit over the last couple of years I have hated most aspects of Gnome but maybe its time to give it another go.
              The tilling feature is great - it was exactly what I was searching the whole time. Whenever I was on a pure tilling wm I had the felling of handcuffs not being able to adjust windows as I know from gnome etc. But on an non tilling wm I always felt it would be so nice to have some tilling feature. This feature implemented by the PopOs Devs is absolutely getting the advantages of both worlds into one. Besides no disadvantages of having a non mainstream desktop when it comes to games etc

Comment

must admit over the last couple of years I have hated most aspects of Gnome but maybe its time to give it another go.
                War is Peace
                Freedom is Slavery
                Ignorance is Strength

You may hate us, but that will only make your love for GNOME stronger in the end. Bow down now, and receive all that is GNOME.

Comment

You have to try it. There is a learning curve for the key board shortcuts, but once you get a hang of them, it's pretty good. Early days, and the tiling window manager is a bit buggy, but its very good. As a KDE user, I have been liking how Gnome has been getting smoother and smoother with lots of optimizations in the past few months

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post

You have to try it. There is a learning curve for the key board shortcuts, but once you get a hang of them, it's pretty good. Early days, and the tiling window manager is a bit buggy, but its very good. As a KDE user, I have been liking how Gnome has been getting smoother and smoother with lots of optimizations in the past few months
                    Yah, I have been watching a lot of their work over the last few months. I am typically a diehard KDE user, I like my dalphin manager, but I am interested in seeing where Gnome is at again... especially after this latest QT/COVID debacle. I prefer programming in QT but it may be worth looking at Gnome again for a DE.

Comment

Working...
                    X