Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Adds Bit To Launcher Files For Indicating Apps That Should Run On Discrete GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Adds Bit To Launcher Files For Indicating Apps That Should Run On Discrete GPUs

Phoronix: GNOME Adds Bit To Launcher Files For Indicating Apps That Should Run On Discrete GPUs

The GNOME Shell has long provided the ability for easily launching applications on alternative GPUs namely for multi-GPU/Optimus-type setups especially with the increasing number of laptops having both integrated and discrete graphics. GNOME is now introducing an addition to .desktop files so applications can specify if they should run on the dedicated GPU if available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. This has been a sore point with plenty of problem inquiries. If it helps, that will be a step worth having.

Comment

What a horrible name? What it means non-default? More reasonable name would be "prefer high performance gpu".

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
        What a horrible name? What it means non-default? More reasonable name would be "prefer high performance gpu".
        I guess that is the only think they can do. Switch from the non-default one.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I guess that is the only think they can do. Switch from the non-default one.
          PrefersNonDefaultGPU

If true, the application prefers to be run on a more powerful discrete GPU if available, which we describe as “a GPU other than the default one” in this spec to avoid the need to define what a discrete GPU is and in which cases it might be considered more powerful than the default GPU. This key is only a hint and support might not be present depending on the implementation.
          The issue I'm seeing and why that suggestion was made is because that's a bad assumption of them to make because on a desktop or workstation the NonDefautGPU is likely to be the lesser powerful APU or Intel Intregrated GPU.

I'd have gone with PrefersDiscreetGPU since that's what it seems they're trying to accomplish here, it should be the more powerful GPU, and it makes more sense in regards to the description of the value.

Comment

Either that should be done on the Freedesktop.org level or include a X-GNOME prefix.

Comment

First they jettisoned .desktop from Nautilus and now they mod .desktop (with I agree a asinine variable name). Hell while they're at it they might as well just make their own extension .gnome

Comment

Ugh, why isn't this a FreeDesktop standard?...

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  First they jettisoned .desktop from Nautilus and now they mod .desktop (with I agree a asinine variable name). Hell while they're at it they might as well just make their own extension .gnome
                  If you did your research, you'd notice the term was agreed by FreeDesktop, which is what defines the .desktop spec

It's literally in the spec.

Comment

Most desktops have a default powerful GPU and a non-default slow GPU (iGPU for Intel CPUs). I wonder whether games or blender will now execute on our Intel cards by default...

Really, it should have been PreferPowerfulGPU=true/false, because that's why the implementation really does, according to the blogpost. Or even better, PreferGPU=high-performance/low-energy/none. "PrefersNonDefaultGPU" seem to be a very confusing name indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X