Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlightenment 0.24 Alpha Released For This X11 Window Manager / Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raster

What is the most hassle free and reasonably usable way to try out the enlightenment environment on an x86_64 desktop linux box from a "boring, but functional" perspective where one doesn't have to spend a week learning to set things up correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
      raster

What is the most hassle free and reasonably usable way to try out the enlightenment environment on an x86_64 desktop linux box from a "boring, but functional" perspective where one doesn't have to spend a week learning to set things up correctly?
      Arch linux (or maybe manjaro), install efl-git and enlightenment-git from AUR. I just use slim as login manager an configure /etc/slim.conf to auto-log-in my username with no password. If i want a password I enable E's own "lock on login" feature which has E start by asking for your password and being locked.

Comment

I always return to Enlightenment. The amount of control it gives over the primary tasks of a window manager ... ie managing windows ... is unsurpassed. I love the live-preview of other desktops ... the way multi-desktops work per-display is independent ... the configurability of the desktop ( shelves, gadgets, etc ). Stability for me is ahead of Gnome ( and lightyears ahead of KDE ). Long live Enlightenment

Comment

I'm still a big fan of the Enlightenment Desktop! I use it in a few machines.

It's awesome that the latest version is finally back on Debian/Ubuntu!

Late in December, I tried to use it in my 4K monitors, didn't worked very well, I mean, the Enlightenment process was consuming more CPU than the whole GNOME (previous Desktop on the same machine) and I didn't manage to make it go faster. I tried to rebuild the Debian packages using different EFL/E build options but, no difference. It wasn't possible to even watch youtube on Firefox under E, super slow refresh...

Hey raster, I'm wondering here... Is it possible to speed up E by [somehow] using the AMDGPU drivers (and possible a rebuild)?

E is really nice! I'll try it again with Ubuntu 20.04.

Comment

I was so excited for Englightenment EFL in the beginning but that withered.
            Every ubuntu release I reinstall it just to see how it's progressed.
            Most of the time it crashed on startup, but that seems to have cleared up now. maybe Ubuntu wasn't keeping up-to-date with patches?

Too many basic features missing, eg: tap-to-click still isn't working with my synaptics touchpad.

I even did some Eo programming just to see if it would be nicer than GObject. But the lack of IDE support for Eo and introspection
            meant I had to manually keep casting the data pointer to view the contents of objects, and it just wasn't worth the hassle.
            Seeing all the Eo guts/noise in the call stack too isn't pleasant, but in fairness you get that with all the C/C++ object frameworks.
            Has there been any progress on this front?

But desktop responsiveness is so snappy, I wish there was an eina/evas backend for gtk.

Comment

raster

PM sent (tagging you here in case you missed it).

Comment

Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
                I'm still a big fan of the Enlightenment Desktop! I use it in a few machines.

It's awesome that the latest version is finally back on Debian/Ubuntu!

Late in December, I tried to use it in my 4K monitors, didn't worked very well, I mean, the Enlightenment process was consuming more CPU than the whole GNOME (previous Desktop on the same machine) and I didn't manage to make it go faster. I tried to rebuild the Debian packages using different EFL/E build options but, no difference. It wasn't possible to even watch youtube on Firefox under E, super slow refresh...

Hey raster, I'm wondering here... Is it possible to speed up E by [somehow] using the AMDGPU drivers (and possible a rebuild)?

E is really nice! I'll try it again with Ubuntu 20.04.
                Normally E will use GL accel by default on most GPUs the wizard has code to recognize known white-listed gl drivers/gpus and enable. if it didn't then you can always go to settings -> look -> compositor and enable gl there (also vsync and smooth scaling too). if e was using software rendering it'd have used a fair bit - depending what updates on screen and of course then it uses a lot more cpu vs having your gpu do that work instead... you'll know its accelerated when you enable vsync and smooth scaling and gl and everything is silky smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by project_phelius View Post
                  I was so excited for Englightenment EFL in the beginning but that withered.
                  Every ubuntu release I reinstall it just to see how it's progressed.
                  Most of the time it crashed on startup, but that seems to have cleared up now. maybe Ubuntu wasn't keeping up-to-date with patches?

Too many basic features missing, eg: tap-to-click still isn't working with my synaptics touchpad.

I even did some Eo programming just to see if it would be nicer than GObject. But the lack of IDE support for Eo and introspection
                  meant I had to manually keep casting the data pointer to view the contents of objects, and it just wasn't worth the hassle.
                  Seeing all the Eo guts/noise in the call stack too isn't pleasant, but in fairness you get that with all the C/C++ object frameworks.
                  Has there been any progress on this front?

But desktop responsiveness is so snappy, I wish there was an eina/evas backend for gtk.
                  No idea why you had stability issues. for a long time ubuntu just didn't update packages at all

For your touchpad - my laptops all work well out of the box, so I've never seen a need to focus on a touchpad config tool. I mostly am at desktop so that works really well. No one has submitted patches for a comprehensive touchpad control panel, so ... it stays on the TODO list if you read it (TODO file in the source tree root) and will be gotten to when it's gotten to. There are a lot of items there...

As for Eo - I don't know what you are doing with casting. It's not needed. Not in C. We typedef the specific types eventually back to the generic Eo type so you can pass anything into anything. Runtime figures it out. If you mean the void *data "user custom data to pass to a callback" like everyone does in C with some callback scheme, then these also need no casing. void * casts to any pointer without complaints. Of course if you use C++ it'll force you to cast. That's why we have C++ bindings... The only casting you have to do is for event information as this is custom per event type. It'd be insane to come up with special types for every event callback. It'd disallow us to use generic event callback add/del calls like we do without casts etc. ...
                  Last edited by raster; 05 May 2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I've been using E on my machines since about 97-98, with only a short pause of a few years in the middle, and it has been pretty great.

Low hardware requirements and a ton of options make useful on hardware where you wouldn't expect much.
                    All the options can lock you in by getting annoyed at any other WM/DE you try for missing that feature you got used to.

The only real issue I can remember has been some inconsistency on window focus when using "focus follows mouse", but I suspect that might be some strange X issue.

raster thanks for keep working on this, I've tried to switch a few times, but always come back.

Comment

raster I see development picked up recenlty... Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X