Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Starts May With Dolphin Improvements, Various Bug Fixes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Starts May With Dolphin Improvements, Various Bug Fixes

    Phoronix: KDE Starts May With Dolphin Improvements, Various Bug Fixes

    KDE developers remain as busy as ever during the global lockdown around the coronavirus...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tarts-May-2020

  • #2
    I'm sure someone will find that Dolphin setting useful. It would get on my nerves. I don't accidentally close enough stuff to find that setting useful. Shit, IMHO, if you're accidentally closing crap so much that you actually need this feature you should look at how you use a PC and adjust your methods...maybe get rid of the close button...

    That global shortcut rewrite seems to be very useful.

    Kind of ranting here....I say that because If I open a file manager, 7/10 I'm going to /home/$USER/yada/yada for local projects or /etc to tweak a setting so I've ended up preferring file managers opening up in $HOME and using a terminal and ls-ing and sudoediting (with tab completion) /etc/blah.conf when I need to mess with anything non-$USER because Dolphin is such a pain in the ass to use with root activities these days...I wish they'd revert some of that non-root user GUI crap because they took a lot of the functionality I was using Dolphin for. For the 3/10 I need to access anything outside of $HOME I'll use taskbar or file manager sidebar shortcuts since I've been doing it that way for almost my entire life regardless of the OS or DE.

    Comment


    • #3
      Would be nice if Dolphin would allow me to modify files that need root permission. Kate/Kwrite for example simply ask me for the root password when I want to edit something in, say, /etc. Would be great if Dolphin did the same.

      Comment


      • #4
        Even when I'm in KDE I install Thunar because the defaults are easier to deal with. I do like Dolphin for two pane file management. Konqueror on the Trinity desktop allows as many panes as you can fit on the screen, which is a really useful feature when you are going between three or more locations.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Would be nice if Dolphin would allow me to modify files that need root permission. Kate/Kwrite for example simply ask me for the root password when I want to edit something in, say, /etc. Would be great if Dolphin did the same.
          Tell me about it.
          I think that's one of my top 3 most annoying thins in KDE Plasma.
          Cinnamon has a "Open as root" that allows you to do everything also edit multiple text files that need root permission since will open the text editor also with root permission so you don't have to type the password after each saving.
          Also one of the most annoying thins for me is when I want to clean up completely a pendrive like in Windows by formatting it.
          Since there's no easy way like in Windows with right-click on the pnedrive and "Format", I format it with Gparted, since I trust it the most for these things.
          So, I have again a completely empty pendrive like in the beginning, but the idiocy of Linux or KDE plasma design is quick to hit me when I try to copy or move anything to it.
          I can't with no clear reason why shouldn't I be able to do that on my computer with my pendrive which is emply since I just format it.
          I found a workaround:
          Go there with the file manager
          Open a terminal
          Change ownership to the curent user.

          I don't want to offend anyone, but this is very stupid and definitely only a few users will know about this fix.
          Even to me it took years until I found out how to do it.
          Opening the pendrive as root in Cinnamon's file manger experience made me understand that I might need the same thing in KDE, but it's very disappointing that it's so much slower.

          Since KDE Plasma is my favorite Linux DE and Dolphin my favorite file manger is very disappointing to see that:
          Windows 7 > Linux Mint (Cinnamon editon) > Kubuntu
          I really don't understand how people expect Linux to have more than 1% desktop market share when even us the administrators of our machines have to jump through hoops and waste a lot of time to change some config files or copy some files to a pendrive.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Would be nice if Dolphin would allow me to modify files that need root permission. Kate/Kwrite for example simply ask me for the root password when I want to edit something in, say, /etc. Would be great if Dolphin did the same.
            That was stupid and were removed from Dolphin in year 2017.,,

            Edit: uhh sorry I messed that with open Dolphin as root, which was possible in old times.
            Last edited by tuke81; 05-02-2020, 11:27 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              I'm sure someone will find that Dolphin setting useful. It would get on my nerves. I don't accidentally close enough stuff to find that setting useful. Shit, IMHO, if you're accidentally closing crap so much that you actually need this feature you should look at how you use a PC and adjust your methods...maybe get rid of the close button...

              That global shortcut rewrite seems to be very useful.

              Kind of ranting here....I say that because If I open a file manager, 7/10 I'm going to /home/$USER/yada/yada for local projects or /etc to tweak a setting so I've ended up preferring file managers opening up in $HOME and using a terminal and ls-ing and sudoediting (with tab completion) /etc/blah.conf when I need to mess with anything non-$USER because Dolphin is such a pain in the ass to use with root activities these days...I wish they'd revert some of that non-root user GUI crap because they took a lot of the functionality I was using Dolphin for. For the 3/10 I need to access anything outside of $HOME I'll use taskbar or file manager sidebar shortcuts since I've been doing it that way for almost my entire life regardless of the OS or DE.
              Then you should be happy that I made it completely optional.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Would be nice if Dolphin would allow me to modify files that need root permission. Kate/Kwrite for example simply ask me for the root password when I want to edit something in, say, /etc. Would be great if Dolphin did the same.
                This feature is *desperately* close to being finished. There's just one patch left and we're working on it: https://phabricator.kde.org/D7563

                Assistance would be appreciated if anyone here has any understanding of PolKit because I kiiiiiiiiiiind of have no idea what I'm doing with it (I'm trying to take over after the last two developers who were working on it ceased their efforts).
                Last edited by ngraham; 05-02-2020, 12:04 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ngraham View Post

                  Then you should be happy that I made it completely optional.
                  I am. That feature was the one thing that stuck out as "OMG, NOOOO"

                  I think you left the wrong link when replying to RealNC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ngraham Is there any work being done on MTP support? Because as it is now it, frankly, sucks. KDE Connect is not an option for large file transfers or for when your smartphone is in recovery mode.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X