Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.37.1 Released As The First Step Towards GNOME 3.38

Phoronix: GNOME 3.37.1 Released As The First Step Towards GNOME 3.38

With about a month and a half since GNOME 3.36 debuted, GNOME 3.37.1 is out today as the first development release towards GNOME 3.38 due out this September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quite some work on removing the X11 dependence:

Is it possible to use Xwayland on demand now, let's try to depend on X11 as little as possible This is only an experiment at the...

Comment

IMO more importantly, Gnome 3.36.2 has been released, with a bunch of important fixes for e.g. GS/Mutter

Comment

having to reenable TLS v1.0 and v1.1 because some government website with COVID-19 info isn't upgraded to a newer protocol -- wow! unfortunately stereotypical for government

Comment

Mutter has a fix for screencasting non-maximized windows and various other fixes.
          In Mutter "Wayland compositor" the code is still no cleaned and unblocked. So I repeat, yes but let a wise man tell us:
          Why Gnome entertains e.g. GDM and other login screens instead of LifeWallpaper. Is problem too complicated for them?

I don't want to be mean but many people are waiting for it.

Comment

I really like GNOME. However, I think it is better with some extensions such as Dock-to-panel and ArcMenu.
            I look forward to being able to run GNOME purely on Wayland without X.

Some things though:
            • Android and iOS have a much nicer bottom-up animation than the one on GNOME when bringing up the dash.
            • macOS have a graphing/plotting calculator, and Microsoft is developing one for Windows.
            • Windows Camera have built-in head tracking and can take picture when it detects you smile.
            • The camera effects in GNOME Cheese are very shitty, and not cool like Snapchat or Facebook Messenger.
            • Windows have a 3D viewer app to view 3D models.
            • Windows comes with Windows Phone Connector app.
            • Windows have a screen snap tool to easily select an area (GNOME have it too with GNOME Screenshots) but on Windows its quickly available in the right side of the screen menu.
            • Windows lets you easily add to calendar from the right side of the screen menu.
            • Windows puts itself into "focus mode" when you launch games.
            • Windows have nice hotkeys like WinKey+E to start the File Explorer.
            • In GNOME Nautilus you can "star" folders, but only some, not all.
            • Gedit chokes/freezes on large files.
            • Gedit does not support multi-caret text editing.
            • The emoji finder widget is bad at finding the emojis I search for by name.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I really like GNOME. However, I think it is better with some extensions such as Dock-to-panel and ArcMenu.

Some things though:
              • Android and iOS have a much nicer bottom-up animation than the one on GNOME when bringing up the dash.
              • macOS have a graphing/plotting calculator, and Microsoft is developing one for Windows.
              • Windows Camera have built-in head tracking and can take picture when it detects you smile.
              • The camera effects in GNOME Cheese are very shitty, and not cool like Snapchat or Facebook Messenger.
              • Windows have a screen snap tool to easily select an area (GNOME have it too with GNOME Screenshots) but on Windows its quickly available in the right side of the screen menu.
              • Windows lets you easily add to calendar from the right side of the screen menu.
              Some of those features are too much for the GNOME developers to take. Come on.

...also, are you gonna compare GNOME to Windows? You should try that other desktop first if you are going to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Some of those features are too much for the GNOME developers to take. Come on.
                ...also, are you gonna compare GNOME to Windows? You should try that other desktop first if you are going to do that.
                i wait for other features like: Freesync support in all apps and all cases. and VR support.

are you sure to write in a gnome topic? remember you need save space for not touching your feelings.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Some things though:
                  I'm not sure what this post is all about, it would be real easy to come up with a similar list that details all of Windows 10 shortcomings. In any event the whole point of continual development is to address shortcomings based on priorities set by the group doing the development. Frankly anybody that has used Linux on the desktop has seen it ocme a very long way over the years.

Comment

Some things though:
                    I am sorry, but your just listed your personal wishes (starring folders, wat?), not real issues (except for Gedit and extensions). Who even uses that Cheese app except launching it once after install to check that webcam is working? We want something more useful like normal 144Hz support or proper fractional scaling. And performance and memory optimization of course!

Comment

Working...
                    X