GNOME 3.37.1 Released As The First Step Towards GNOME 3.38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eso Kerman View Post
    If you don't like GNOME, there are many GTK alternatives. I would appreciate it if you would stop speaking for me with ideas that only concern you. Not everyone likes the traditional desktop. I find it annoying and outdated. This is also true for people I know who are lost in an office where you have to click everywhere.

GNOME is visual and instinctive. The traditional desktop suits you because you are used to it. Those who have taken the trouble to change their habits or who are new to computers tell me that GNOME is better. If you are not interested, as I said, there are many GTK alternatives, so why complain?

Congratulations to the GNOME team who continue to improve their vision despite the hatred of purists.
    Hard to speak for you if you hadn't written before...

I also find the traditional desktop annoying and outdated. Doesn't mean we have to be pleased with everything Gnome does. If it goes against our own workflow, we can still express disagreement, and YET believe the paradigm is the right one.
    This has nothing to do with purists. (Gnome 2) Purists are long gone to Mate and Cinnamon. Neither does it have to do with changes of habits, Unity required the same change as Gnome 3. Blaming resistance to change is the kind of reply you get from people without strong arguments.
    The one criticizing are the one that still stand behind the paradigm (represented by Unity/Gnome 3) but see their Gnome workflow stripped down and harder to use with every new release.
    For me, it's still the closest DE I can get to the paradigm. Unfortunately Unity is unmaintained, which is why I'm using Gnome. But I still believe Unity was implemented with a much better vision (in my point of view) and much more consideration for the end-user. It was realistic because it was disruptive and yet it took into account how common people use a computer. Gnome wrongly assume their users are all nerd.

Originally posted by kshanowski View Post
    Some people (or maybe most?) just dont understand the progress. He even mixed up ecologists and vegans with gnome design, jeez.
    Because the narrow-minded spirit is the exact same. They want to impose their belief to everyone, regardless of others' opinions. They're not progressive, they're just dictators of the one-track thinking. There's only one truth, their own. And sheeps say yes and start spreading. A bit like a cult actually. Gnome and the movements I mentioned are made for followers, not for people thinking on their own. You can see it with some posters here, they strongly agree to everything Gnome does. They have no will or preference of their own.

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Relax. Nobody is forcing you. Use what you want.

Also, It is rather narrow minded to try label anyone fanboy when they try to explain why things change.

As said in another post. If everyone else seems to have a problem, it usually you.
    I don't have much choice though. Still the closest thing (with 15 extensions) to an efficient workflow, although every 6 months it's factually requiring more mouse movements, more clicks, more extensions, offering less features, less configuration and in my opinion getting further and further away from the paradigm it was created for.

I'm always up for good explanations. I label some as fanboys because they agree to everything like little sheeps. They don't think. They accept without blinking whatever's thrown at them as if it was the single version of the truth. That's not how it works, there are as many truths as there are people (less the fanboys). Which is why configuration is important. But Gnome is limiting choices.
    I respect the choice of people (if they can think by themselves) even those using vanilla Gnome, that's exactly why I'm asking for options, not for me but so that everyone can actually configure Gnome to some extent (without extensions for basic stuff) and get a satisfying workflow. It's for choice's sake.
    Last edited by Mez'; 03 May 2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Ok I get your point of view. On the other hand If humans won't radically change consumption/lifestyle habits, future generations won't be able to fight flame wars. There is basically no other point of view, unless one is denying the reality. That is not what I believe, that is what is proven by science. And yes, most people follow this sheep mentality, but it doesn't prove that all movement is wrong. It's just as commercialized as everything else. It just surprised me, that you choose this as an example of mindless obedience. Lets say religion would be better example.

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      that everyone can actually configure Gnome to some extent (without extensions for basic stuff) and get a satisfying workflow. It's for choice's sake.
      So you can configure your gnome experience, but you don't like that it needs extensions? From what I know, they made it to be broadly extensible by extensions, that's the point of that DE. You've got choice. If one don't like out of the box experience, one can change it. If I like what I see, I leave it as it is and I don't have to search through options I don't really need. On the other hand there are different distributions that ship their own out of the box experience, that could be more or less easily adopted to our own desktop. What I don't like is how those extensions are not compatible between versions. I don't think that I'm a fan boy. To be honest as long as my keyboard shortcuts works, it doesn't really matter what DE I'm using.

Surprisingly I've got better cpu temperatures (and much less fan noise, if any) in gnome, that in bspwm. This DE is not all about what can we see and how we use it, but also how it manages resources. And that's the topic I don't have much to say, so I have to trust gnome developers and follow their path would you call me a sheep? Would you call a sheep someone who just want to use their desktop for their work?

Comment

Of human contributors resources.
        Oh *please*! That's clearly not how the contributors feel, or they wouldn't contribute. I ask again: have you asked for a refund? How much did you contribute? Or is your own "contribution" to troll release announcements? Hahahahahahahaha!

Comment

I don't have much choice though. Still the closest thing (with 15 extensions) to an efficient workflow, although every 6 months it's factually requiring more mouse movements, more clicks, more extensions, offering less features, less configuration and in my opinion getting further and further away from the paradigm it was created for.

I'm always up for good explanations. I label some as fanboys because they agree to everything like little sheeps. They don't think. They accept without blinking whatever's thrown at them as if it was the single version of the truth. That's not how it works, there are as many truths as there are people (less the fanboys). Which is why configuration is important. But Gnome is limiting choices.
          I respect the choice of people (if they can think by themselves) even those using vanilla Gnome, that's exactly why I'm asking for options, not for me but so that everyone can actually configure Gnome to some extent (without extensions for basic stuff) and get a satisfying workflow. It's for choice's sake.
          While this is one of your logically better structured posts, it exposes one fundamental flaw:
          In the free world, nobody gets to choose for others or discount their opinion - You can surely try but you are fighting windmills. Freedom only stops where the freedom of others starts.
          This is even more true in free software, where devs can choose to invest mostly their free time and users have a lot of choice.

Btw. Gnome is known for quite a few good things. Configurability did not make that list.

Comment

Working...
          X