Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinity Desktop Turns 10 Years Old As A Fork Of KDE 3.5 - Celebrates With New Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

By your definition, Libreoffice is not a fork of Openoffice, but rather a continuation of abandonware.
    Last release of OpenOffice was 6 months ago and LO was forked 9 years ago, so by my definition it isn't abondonware but is genuinely a fork, that said however given the rate of support and development it's teetering on the brink of abandonware. Conversely the last KDE3 release was 12 years ago and the last release of Qt3 was 16 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
      Yes, I've been on this bandwagon since I replaced Windows with Linux 13 years ago, which means I have to do real work on Linux and I want stuff to (mostly) work.
      Good point. I always have a conservative setup that just works when I need to get a piece of work done, and one or two systems where I feel free to break stuff. MX19 with its customized XFCE desktop is my conservative setup. KDE, fluxbox and others when I'm feeling more daring.
      I don't care whose "way" it is. And frankly, MacOS sucks, people who compare GNOME with Mac don't know how offensive it is to GNOME, starting with the closed-source software and the walled garden (none of which applies to GNOME, though there's arguably a "GNOME Way"--but there's also a KDE way, an Xfce way and so forth).
      In a way Gnome reminds me more of iOS than it does of Macos. It's not about proprietary software, just that Gnome clearly takes a lot of cues from Apple in terms of how to think about presenting choices to the user. Can't blame them, Mac os is wildly popular.
      But I agree that recently, software has been hiding too much from the users and giving them the impression that mouse and windows are everything there is. I said this in this forum countless times.
      Having not used Ubuntu or Fedora in recent years, I'm not familiar with this issue. I should try them again and see how far they've gone. This isn't my experience on Debian, Arch, openSUSE, or MX, or the smaller distros I've used in recent years. Seems like most distros are actually getting less gui-focused, and are recommending users spend more time with package management and with resolving issues on the command line. But that's probably not the case with Ubuntu or Fedora.

Comment

Having not used Ubuntu or Fedora in recent years, I'm not familiar with this issue. I should try them again and see how far they've gone. This isn't my experience on Debian, Arch, openSUSE, or MX, or the smaller distros I've used in recent years.
        Debian hasn't changed at all, it seems.

Smaller distros require more skill because they don't focus on anything most of the time, and are often understaffed, i.e., fewer people use it and test it. OpenSUSE has YaST, I don't think you can get more user friendly than a huge control panel with knobs for everything.

Seems like most distros are actually getting less gui-focused, and are recommending users spend more time with package management and with resolving issues on the command line. But that's probably not the case with Ubuntu or Fedora.
        Fedora still requires some skill depending on what you want to do. Don't know about Ubuntu, the closest I got to it was KDE Neon.

Comment

Blast from the past

Fashion

Comment

GNOME is better tested, at least. And the extensions that matter for most people rarely break or are well-maintained (AppIndicator, OpenWeather and GSConnect).

KDE gives you every possible setting and every possible combination of settings, but do you really think they test all of it thoroughly? I always try something like that and I always find bugs--always. birdie is correct when he says the devs only care about stuff personally. KDE is also an ideological desktop, they just hide it better.
            Well, I feel hamstrung if I don't have settings to play with. every now and then, I feel like changing something, be it the theme, something on my taskbar, window decorations... And while I'm sure I could find bugs with some settings, I've always been able to work fine with Plasma. Even in the rocky 4.0 and 5.0 days.

Comment

Already more commenters here than Trinity has users. 🤯

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Already more commenters here than Trinity has users. 🤯
                Trinity is an ancient word for "I cannot customize Plasma 5."

Comment

Originally posted by willbprog177 View Post
                  Blast from the past

Fashion
                  Absolutely Beautiful. Learned to use Linux during this era. Had dial up Internet with a windows modem so no Internet in Linux for me so just learning from the command line and gui. Been using XFCE nowadays but I could see myself using trinity today.

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post
                    Does someone really use it on a daily basis (except Trinity developers) ?
                    I use it whenever I want to update my static websites. I wrote my sites using Quanta Plus, and I've not had any time to use a more modern approach such as a website generator or some other tool that I'd need to investigate and learn. So I stick with Quanta Plus, which is what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by willbprog177 View Post
                      Blast from the past

Fashion
                      I never reallly like the default Keramic, I think I set it to Redmond due to it being familiar to me at the time. When Pastik theme came out, I stuck to it like glue. It just got so many things just right.

Comment

Working...
                      X