Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GNOME Shell Calendar Will Stop Over-Consuming The CPU, Eating Up Battery Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jeez, every gnome post becomes a crap fest..
    Fuck you trolls

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

Or maybe they don't use it at all, there is some stuff you gotta disable in desktops like GNOME and KDE for them to be as responsive as possible, one of them are the trackers, They make your system crawl for functionality where I prefer to just use a file manager. Most people that say aren't having performance issues on these desktops are using really powerful machines or disabling components in order to get better performance.
      In fact, I always disable compositing (never used it in my life apart for testing).

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        ssokolow Nah there’s too much code and too many test cases. Making it work on a single DE or distribution is hard enough. GNOME is lucky to have sponsors that can provide long term career opportunities to elite hackers like Christian Hergert. Sysprof is the answer to all questions.
        You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about unit testing. I'm talking about a suite that performs various tasks as if a user were doing them (possibly LDTP, which works via the accessibility APIs for reliability) and watches to make sure the resources consumed by the list of process names known to be desktop components doesn't exceed a certain percentage of available system resources.

You should be able to get a surprising amount of utility out of a small amount of code and few test cases compared to test suites for more typical purposes. The problem, as always, is the human side of things. Not just getting it written, but getting it enough publicity for its results to become shame-worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          ssokolow I’m not talking about unit tests. I’m talking about real tests GNOME got sysprof to keep track of most performance metrics. It’s really not feasible to expand that to 10s of alternative DE and try to make it all work.
          And I'm talking about "I don't know why, but the processes which comprise your desktop consumed twice as much CPU time as those which comprise the next runner-up when performing this test task. I don't care what your excuse is. Shame on your default configuration for stealing that much CPU time that could be spent on the user's actual task. Hey, everyone! Look at this chart showing how wasteful release X of desktop Y is!"

It's trivial to determine how much CPU time a given process consumed between two points in time. Hell, if the "two points in time" are the time the process was created and the time it exited, the shell time command will do it.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 28 April 2020, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
            It's only reasonable that he asks for some form of compensation.
            A lot of people on this forum don't seem to believe commercial profit to be a legitimate way to make a living out of software, so this is not a given.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              We really need a concerted effort to develop some kind of "performance of infrastructure relative to user applications" conformance suite and publicly shame any desktop which makes a release which fails it.
              Aren't you an entitled karen.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                A lot of people on this forum don't seem to believe commercial profit to be a legitimate way to make a living out of software, so this is not a given.
                You're one of them, so what's your point?

Comment

Your written comprehension needs work.

Comment

The most amazing part of this story is that Gnome still has a calendar app and it hasnt removed it. I would have expected the geniuses at Gnome UI headquarters to delete such a useless feature that "nobody needs or uses".

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                      The most amazing part of this story is that Gnome still has a calendar app and it hasnt removed it. I would have expected the geniuses at Gnome UI headquarters to delete such a useless feature that "nobody needs or uses".
                      It technically has two if you consider Evolution part of GNOME.

Comment

Working...
                      X