Chrome 83 Beta Rolls Out With Better Form Controls, Barcode Detection API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 83 Beta Rolls Out With Better Form Controls, Barcode Detection API

Phoronix: Chrome 83 Beta Rolls Out With Better Form Controls, Barcode Detection API

Following the release of Chrome 81 earlier this month, Chrome 83 is now in beta with Google having skipped Chrome 82 due to delays / internal issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

did they fu*ked up ads blocker yet ?

Comment

A new study by Trinity College at the University of Dublin tracked the default phone-home behavior of some of the major browsers. Found that Firefox and Chrome phone-home the user's web browsing in real time by default, and can track the user across browser restarts and browser reinstallations. Yandex and Microsoft Edge were worse, with the browser phoning home all the browsing data along with unique hardware identifier data by default. Brave browser was the only one they tested that was not detected phoning-home the web browsing data or trying to track users with identifiers over time.

Comment

Google having skipped Chrome 82 due to delays / internal issues.
        Yeah, let's JUMP straight to the Chrome 100, or maybe 1000000000.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          A new study by Trinity College at the University of Dublin tracked the default phone-home behavior of some of the major browsers. Found that Firefox and Chrome phone-home the user's web browsing in real time by default, and can track the user across browser restarts and browser reinstallations. Yandex and Microsoft Edge were worse, with the browser phoning home all the browsing data along with unique hardware identifier data by default. Brave browser was the only one they tested that was not detected phoning-home the web browsing data or trying to track users with identifiers over time.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/brave-...-phoning-home/
          Yawn.... compile from source if you want to. I don't really think this is true anyway: I just ran netstat.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            Yawn.... compile from source if you want to. I don't really think this is true anyway: I just ran netstat.
            The research is true - read the research paper, very detailed in terms of the exact items that were phoned home. I don't run Firefox in its default configuration, so I avoid some of this, but I have to block a bunch of stuff in /etc/hosts in order to ensure I've blocked everything. I've compiled firefox quite often, but it often fails to compile when I try to strip out all of the telemetry and safe browsing modules. There is a new project called Librewolf right now that is creating versions that strip out all of Firefox's bad behavior, seems to work well so far.

Some advantages to Brave are that it is well tested and that it has an alternative safe browsing check that does not try to identify the user.
            Last edited by andyprough; 18 April 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X