GNOME's Mutter Lands Fullscreen Unredirect Support For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    Are there any native wayland games until now?
    Anything using modern SDL2 and therefore most Source ports for starters, but you'll have to use SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland and possibly even LD_PRELOAD a recent build of SDL for stuff that bundles and loads older versions.

edit: iirc Unity3d has also had working Wayland support for a while now, so that should definitely increase the count by quite a lot as long an explicit build option is not required on the devs' part.
    Last edited by kon14; 16 April 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Am I the only one having difficulties understanding what "unredirect" means? Is that even an English word anyway? If it just means bypassing the compositor why not simply saying that instead of inventing new words?

Comment

Simple question: Is "live wallpaper" possible or not?

Comment

Sarmad, I'm scratching my head as well.

Is it some sort of repurposing of redirect to mean its dumping to null? My analogy of my impression of undirect would effectively be a police officer screaming 'Stop!' before shooting that offending (probably unwashed, unshaven and un-underweared) pedestrian.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Lands Fullscreen Unredirect Support For Wayland

A big change was just merged today for the in-development GNOME 3.38 that will benefit Wayland gamers and others...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ect-FS-Wayland
            Just to clarify, does this apply to all games (and other fullscreen software) running on a Wayland session, even via XWayland, or only to Wayland-native software?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              So that means that I'll be never able to game on Wayland without a VRR display, as I can't stand any holding back, repeating or dropping frames.
              All of those things can happen even with VRR. The only difference is that the length of the vertical blank period varies within a defined interval, other than that it works exactly the same as fixed refresh (at the maximum rate).

"Never" is a strong word. If there's strong demand, and especially if someone were to make at least a proof-of-concept mutter MR for it, I doubt what you want is completely out of the question.

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              Sad I'll never probably take advantage of it, since my 'full screen' games are all full-screen on just one of my two monitors.
              Actually, that is one notable case where compositing can be bypassed with Wayland, but not with Xorg.

If Gnome on Wayland is providing a ton of overhead, I'm not really sure I care.
              Recent benchmarks on this very site showed GNOME Wayland on par with Xorg (for fullscreen application frame-rate) even before this change, which should result in comparable or better overhead with Wayland vs Xorg.

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Am I the only one having difficulties understanding what "unredirect" means? Is that even an English word anyway? If it just means bypassing the compositor why not simply saying that instead of inventing new words?
              It's terminology from X, where compositing involves "redirecting" windows (so their contents are stored in separate pixmaps), and then bypassing compositing requires "unredirecting" the fullscreen window.

Comment

So that means that I'll be never able to game on Wayland without a VRR display, as I can't stand any holding back, repeating or dropping frames.
                so you can't game on x11, right?

Comment

I might be a bit late to get an answer to this, but...

Would it be possible to get Gnome to be powered by a different Wayland compositor than Mutter? If so, how do you make it happen install-wise?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    so you can't game on x11, right?
                    Typical pal666 nonsense, there is freedom of choice between vsync and tearing on xorg.
                    On Wayland, this probably would require DRM leasing, which is to be seen if it gets ever implemented for any compositor.

Comment

Typical pal666 nonsense, there is freedom of choice between vsync and tearing on xorg.
                      x11 is holding back frames no matter what. with slow rendering it will repeat frames. tearing drops arbitrary parts of frames. with novsync your monitor can drop whole frames. none of which you can stand according to you
                      On Wayland, this probably would require DRM leasing
                      probably you have no idea what your are talking about
                      , which is to be seen if it gets ever implemented for any compositor.
                      if something is not implemented for any compositor, then it's not on wayland
                      Last edited by pal666; 22 April 2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X