Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inkscape 1.0 Release Candidate Emerges For This Excellent Vector Graphics Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AH88 View Post

1. You get what you pay for
    2. It's free

How about getting out your wallet or rolling up your sleeves?
    I just say that if Inkscape could do this, its user's base would enlarge a lot. If it's not a priority for them, it's ok but note they're missing a piece of the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

It shouldn't anymore, theyve supported Gtk3 since Java9. if your distro is no opt depending on gtk2 then probably badger them about that
      It's not my distro, it is the jre which is shipped with CLion. But I guess it will be only a matter of time until that dependency will vanish, too.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        I'd guess that those apps will take less time to move to gtk4 than I took to move away from gtk2.

But I completely forgot about Java, that still depends on gtk2 -.-
        No it doesn't. Even Java 8 uses GTK3 as a default, since 7/2019,

The only gtk3 bugs seem minor
        Last edited by caligula; 14 April 2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

It's not my distro, it is the jre which is shipped with CLion. But I guess it will be only a matter of time until that dependency will vanish, too.
          You can easily switch to system JVM when using IntelliJ tools https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/...-boot-jdk.html

Comment

It seems it should also work without Python 2. This is the last app that uses Python2 on my desktop and of the last that uses GTK2.

Comment

I had a pretty long list of issues that I've run into with Inkscape. Glossing over the RC change log...almost all are addresses, often far exceeding my wishes. Great work. This doesn't appear to be a small incremental step from 0.9x to 1.0, but a real, proper '1.0' release. Can't wait!

Comment

Not that GIMP and Inkscape are the exact same kind of thing (rasta vs vector), but: I'm with the others here who have used both and found Inkscape to be more more pleasant and intuitive to use. I did have to learn a few little things, but after that I got a real sense of flow while using it.

Comment

This is from the change log:

Many numeric entry fields no longer change their value when scrolling while the mouse is hovering over them. They now need to be selected (clicked into). Then scrolling will change the value as previously. This change was made, because scrolling docked dialogs easily led to accidental change of values.
                  It surprises me that both GTK and QT seem to have this scroll-to-change-numeric-value behaviour. Every time I'm using an interface which contains a numeric field inside a scrollable pane, I always end up accidently changing the value. With the movement from having manual save and apply buttons to having preference dialogues auto save and apply, the situation got worse, because now I can't even close a dialogue without saving and re-open in order to ensure the numeric value is properly reverted.

Comment

Working...
                  X