The Qt Company Publishes A 2020 Roadmap Culminating With The Qt 6.0 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Qt Company Publishes A 2020 Roadmap Culminating With The Qt 6.0 Release

Phoronix: The Qt Company Publishes A 2020 Roadmap Culminating With The Qt 6.0 Release

The Qt Company has made public their 2020 road-map for Qt software releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Qt [...].
    As usual, 144Hz is taking profit from not having a real job, to "first post" every Qt or KDE news, "That’s as malicious as it gets". At least now he hasn't mocked the disabled, like when he wrote "The Butthurt Baboons are so jumpy they can skip another ther letter. It is why we should celebrate and embrace them. Kind a like the Paralympics.". "That’s as malicious as it gets"

Comment

I'm a bit confused...
      Qt 5.15 is LTS only or it will be released also as non-LTS ?
      Because with all these LTS limitations and restrictions I'm afraid that little open source projects cannot use it and I as their user I will not get the best support for my OS and hardware.
      I'm afraid that big distros like Kubuntu can probably afford it, but many other free and open source projects that offer their downloads free of charge (gratis) cannot afford to pay for this.

Qt should make sure that this new model doesn't affect the non-profit open source projects.

Comment

About the LTS versions, as they wrote: It is a question of balance. The Qt developers gets paid, the distributions have access to bug fixes and the code stays free software, is OK.

Comment

Hopefully it's an incentive to get more up to date Qt versions.

As usual (adapted from what cochise wrote):
          - Qt didn't have a LTS release until 2011 (4.8), and that was OK.
          - GTK didn't have a LTS release, and that was OK [if it has any nowadays, because there is no mention of any GTK LTS (nor any similar term) in the GTK main page (https://www.gtk.org/) nor in the downloads pages (like https://www.gtk.org/docs/installations/linux/), etc. It makes you wonder if it exists.]
          - Distros backport manually almost all fixes themselves for all projects since forever.
          - LTS releases are for business that ship their own Qt copy [and that comes handy to pay developers].

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I'm a bit confused...
            Qt 5.15 is LTS only or it will be released also as non-LTS ?
            Because with all these LTS limitations and restrictions I'm afraid that little open source projects cannot use it and I as their user I will not get the best support for my OS and hardware.
            I'm afraid that big distros like Kubuntu can probably afford it, but many other free and open source projects that offer their downloads free of charge (gratis) cannot afford to pay for this.

Qt should make sure that this new model doesn't affect the non-profit open source projects.
            Directly from the QT Company:

Qt 5.15 LTS is in the final steps of development, with three beta releases already out. The release of Qt 5.15.0 is planned for the end of May. For commercial license holders, Qt 5.15 LTS will be supported for 3 years, just like the Qt 5.12 LTS and Qt 5.9 LTS. For open-source users, Qt 5.15 a regular Qt release without the long-term support, just like Qt 5.14 and Qt 6.0.
            Hopefully that also answers my question about KDE, Wayland, and QT6 from the other thread.

Comment

"Qt for Microcontrollers" sounds like a misnomer .. "Qt for ARMv7 hardware that was considered high-end in 2007" sounds more to the point. Anything I'd consider a microcontroller (AVR, PIC, H8/300) doesn't have enough power or ram for even a stripped down version of qt gui.

Comment

Nth_man GTK got long term support. You can look up the current and past release schedules. Of course that requires you to do a bit of work and not rely on marketing speak.
                Repeating it again, there's no sign of any LTS at the aforementioned places (in the GTK main page (https://www.gtk.org/) nor in the downloads pages (like https://www.gtk.org/docs/installations/linux/), etc. Where do you see an LTS version? Does it exist? As you say "that requires you to do a bit of work and not rely on marketing speak".
                Last edited by Nth_man; 08 April 2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Nth_man That would be GTK 3.24. They keep it long term. (Of course there’s no weasel marketing speak like you would get from Qt)
                  Again, it's just your word, "weasel marketing speak" like you say, without any proof.

Comment

It's seen again that someone who hasn't a real job... can also be arguing all day long, telling the same without proofs, without giving any web address. Unlike him, I won't keep writing the same web addresses again and again. Let him keep on wasting everyone's time.

Comment

Working...
                    X