GNOME Launching A Community Engagement Challenge With $65k+ In Cash/Prizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Launching A Community Engagement Challenge With $65k+ In Cash/Prizes

Phoronix: GNOME Launching A Community Engagement Challenge With $65k+ In Cash/Prizes

The GNOME Foundation in cooperation with Endless has launched their first Community Engagement Challenge where they are offering up many prizes and cash...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A system tray, integrate Gnome Tweaks into Gnome, much, much, much, much better multi-monitor support, and free beer and weed to the current week's top contributor.

Basically, my idea to get coders is to provide them a workstation that is useful for doing work followed by some incentive to actually work.

EDIT: On a serious note, since I'm in my 30's and not really their primary target, but as a beginner programmer (if scripting counts) and FOSS enthusiast I am one of their targets, a platform that could teach people (me) to program while not overwhelming them (me) in the beginning would be my real suggestion. Something like The Rust Programming Language and LearnCpp, only dumbed-down a bit and made with XKCD-like comics and focuses on core GNOME technologies and languages.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 07 April 2020, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Maybe, they could try to make another paint program as their initial project and make it friendlier but also compatible with gimp plugins, new easy ui and call it Gump.
      Gump with gnome(bought physical copies will come with a garden gnome)

Gump: Even a stump could use it(r)(tm)(C)

Comment

Don't actually need any contests to improve gnome, it's already been done. Mate and XFCE already exist and work great.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Don't actually need any contests to improve gnome, it's already been done. Mate and XFCE already exist and work great.
          If your steam machine in your backyard wasn't as loud you'd heard me laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
            If your steam machine in your backyard wasn't as loud you'd heard me laughing.
            What is a steam machine and what would it be doing in my backyard? If you are saying my computer makes a lot of noise, XFCE runs pretty much fanless and noiseless in my experience. Lightweight desktops are a good thing.

Comment

Do you get $10k more if you remove a feature and tell users to write an extension for it?

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                Do you get $10k more if you remove a feature and tell users to write an extension for it?
                $20k if you then submit a change that breaks their extension.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

$20k if you then submit a change that breaks their extension.
                  $30k if you don't know what XFCE is or does sorry.

Comment

They could start paying a website that shows the current version of their software.

Comment

Working...
                    X