Firefox 75 Released With Flatpak Support, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

When was the last time you paid for a web browser? I'm going to guess never. I'm actually old enough to have paid for one. You pay by being the product. You are thanking people for making money off your on-line activity.
    Blah blah blah. Martin is not a Mozilla employee and he is not getting paid by mozilla adverts for his Wayland work. so you are not "the product" in this case. Martin's work is simply to allow Mozilla to work better on Wayland, and this has nothing to do with Mozilla's other activities. I am not thanking Mozilla, i am thanking Martin Stransky specifically. There is a difference. I am not even using a Red Hat distro so i am not paying him through Red Hat either.

Seriously, you don't want to thank him for his work, it is ok, but going against people who do means you have serious issues.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

you quote me twice about this defending RedHat, are you paid for them? Or IBM?
      He wouldn't be the first one paid by Red Hat, like AdamW (he even showed it), who also spread falsehoods like "desktops like KDE that have a button for everything":
      https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...879#post913879

Comment

Way better than Firefox of the Fedora flatpak repository, which pulls in the 596 MB F32 runtime for whatever reason…

Comment

I hope they work on making the video hardware decoding work on non-Wayland also.
          As much as I want to use Wayland on KDE Plasma, it' still buggy and I think it will still need months or most likely years to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
            Sadly Firefox is still noticeably slower than Chromium based browsers.
            I don't think thats true in every usecase. I, being a heavy user of browser tabs, can't use Chrome due to its slowness. Whenever you've a bigger amount of tabs openend Chrome at first kills your RAM, then your cpu cycles. I noticed chrome being slower on some other occasions. Chrome is fast as long as you don't really use it.

It's not all about synthetic benchmarks, it's more about user experience.

On the other side: Firefox has accumulated quite some features chrome doesn't have to offer...

Comment

Questions!?!

One of the issue with Spectre/Meltdown was it could be exploited even with a browser. Using Firefox through Flatpak can prevent any Spectre/Meltdown attack? Hence, since the moment a personal computer is mostly exposed on the web because the browser, you can disable all the mitigation and regain your performance? Is my assumption correct?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                I hope they work on making the video hardware decoding work on non-Wayland also.
                As much as I want to use Wayland on KDE Plasma, it' still buggy and I think it will still need months or most likely years to improve.
                I don't think thats gonna happen. X11 is a dead end by now.

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Nag the right people or contribute. In this case I think it's the KDE developers not getting their work done.

As long as KDE needs outdated tech, you might opt to something more current if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  Blah blah blah. Martin is not a Mozilla employee and he is not getting paid by mozilla adverts for his Wayland work. so you are not "the product" in this case. Martin's work is simply to allow Mozilla to work better on Wayland, and this has nothing to do with Mozilla's other activities. I am not thanking Mozilla, i am thanking Martin Stransky specifically. There is a difference. I am not even using a Red Hat distro so i am not paying him through Red Hat either.

Seriously, you don't want to thank him for his work, it is ok, but going against people who do means you have serious issues.
                  RedHat makes money selling systems that serve up web pages and online services. It's clearly in their financial interest to push web browsing technology in certain ways, and to make online access better and faster for all.

But, whatever - I see your point. And I do think Martin is probably a very fine person, a high quality developer. I wish him and his family well during these difficult times. As I wish you and your family well.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

RedHat makes money selling systems that serve up web pages and online services. It's clearly in their financial interest to push web browsing technology in certain ways, and to make online access better and faster for all.

But, whatever - I see your point. And I do think Martin is probably a very fine person, a high quality developer. I wish him and his family well during these difficult times. As I wish you and your family well.
                    Eh, its more that RHEL needs a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      andre30correia Kudos to any company who can make profit on doing the right thing.

Facts about Red Hat:
                      1) Red Hat are the largest contributor to Linux and Linux desktop.
                      2) Red Hat offers jobs and career opportunities all the way from entry level jobs to principal positions. Stuff like Wayland and systemd requires decade of experience.
                      3) Red Hat uses its market dominance to fight unethical CLA. If companies like Canonical or Qt had that position then they would exploit it.
                      Considering YOU need a CLA to work in Fedora, you contradict yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X